can't keep temps up

Kevin.D

TVWBB Member
Started with full ring of kinsford and 20 lit birquettes. menion method. temps will not go temps are between 205 and 215. temps are at upper grate. holding right now at 206 after 1 hour i put on 1/2 chimeney lit briquettes, temp still not going up. have stirred coals. am at total losss. have 2 9 lb. butts on. did 6 racks of ribs earlier temps help about 220 for them. anu suggestions appreciated.
thanks

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is your pit out of the wind? It needs to be.

2) What are your vent settings? Top vent and side vents?

3) Is it possible your Kingsford was stored in a damp place?

just figured it out. put a new maverick on same grate. temps are at 246. either a bad probe or something like that. thanks again.

That's why I smoke with a therm in the top (Weber therm through the rivet) and the maverick. If they don't read the same, I would know I have a thermometer problem. If they read the same I would know something other than my thermometer calibration is wrong.

Glad you figured it out your problem.
15.gif

With your descriptions in your post, you should have had plenty of heat in there.

Kevin -

Which was reading low? If it was the receiving unit then you may have just lost communication rather than have a bad probe. If it was the sending unit that was still reading low then it is probably the probe. Do the boiling water check to find out.

Scott

Now Scott

Shouldn't you really be studying for those law school finals ... just kidding - been there, done that, a long, long time ago. Good luck.

Paul

reading about 30 degree different between the 2 mavericks on the pit probe, the meat probe seem to be fine. I think the pit probe is bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Now Scott

Shouldn't you really be studying for those law school finals ... just kidding - been there, done that, a long, long time ago. Good luck.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my stress release. Reading notes and covering outlines is all too monotonous. This reminds me that I would rather be Q'ing.

Back