Can't get temps down.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm cooking two slabs of BB ribs on the WSM that I bought on CL a little while back. This is the first cook on it since I bought it.

I don't think it had ever been used even though it is from the late ninties because there was no buildup on the inside at all. The bowl or middle section is slightly out of round because it slightly rocks.

Anyway, I used the minion method and put 30 lit on top which I guess was probably too many for the outside temps(96 F*) After letting it get to around 246* I shut the bottom vents 1/2 way down. The temps fell to about 228 and then started climbing. I ended up fully closing the bottom vents when the temps got to around 265. The temps got to around 288 when I shut the top vent to about 3/4 open. The temps are now staying steady at about 282-284 and won't come down anymore. I'm using a foiled water pan with no water.

I don't want to close the top vent all the way since everyone advises against that.

The ribs have been on the smoker for almost three hours. At my current temps, what is a ballpark figure where I should start checking for doneness.?

My last cook of BB ribs was done at temps of 245-250 and they were done in a little over 4 hours.

This is my first cook with these hotter outside temps so I guess I have some things to still learn. Is there any way to bring temps down for future reference? Thanks.

Wayne

I forgot to mention I'm using a Maverick 732 with the probe mounted on the grate between the two slabs and am using a windbreak since its slightly windy.

Wayne

30 lit coals may be too much. with minion method, allow the temp to rise slowly, and squelch when 25 degress or so shy of your ideal mark. If things are too-too hot. Close all vents, including top vent for a full 2 minutes, then open top vent only. That should help. Don't leave top vent closed for too long, otherwise risk a sooty taste on the ribs.

Thanks for the input. I figured that I used to many lit for the outside temps. I'll probably try 15-20 lit next time.

I usually start shutting down my vents for my rib cooks at about 225 but I got busy doing something and the temps were higher than I wanted even though they dropped pretty fast.

I just checked the ribs for doneness at 3 hours, 15 minutes. They still need a little more time since they did not tear when holding them in the middle, bone side up. The outside does look good though. I'll probably check them again at the 4 hour mark. Thanks again.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, also remember that first cooks in WSMs tend to run hotter until residue builds up. And I would advise water the first couple of cooks to absorb the heat. Not to worry I bet those ribs came out mighty tasty and tender!

They actually came out pretty good. They cooked for 3 hours and 45 minutes with the majority of the cook in the 282-288 range. I think I prefer them cooked at these higher temps compared to the 235-245 of my first cook of ribs and the 245-265 of my second cook of ribs. Some of it was a little crunchy but I like it that way and the kids really liked them.

I'm divorced so I don't have the kids much so I wanted to cook them something they don't get to eat very often. They didn't get to taste my first two cooks so this was their first time eating anything I've smoked. We pretty much finished the ribs off so that was a good sign.

I'm still going to play around with the temps and how many lit coals I use in future cooks just to see how the hotter outside temps affect the cooks. I'm also going to try using less charcoal because both of my WSM's are not airtight so shutting down the vents doesn't put out the coals so I'm wasting a lot of coals. It seemed like I barely used any coals on this cook as there seemed to be almost the same amount in the ring as what I started with.

I pulled the ribs off at 5:00pm and shut down all of the vents. I just checked the smoker and its still pretty hot and its almost 9:00pm Thanks again everyone.

Wayne

Glad they turned out ok. Wayne I'd suggest starting to close the vents before you did. Don't forget that temp will continue to climb even though you cut some air flow. It will slow down but the coals are too hot already especially if you want to be at 250. On windy days, I'd start closing vents arount 210-215 tops. It will still climb and if your target is 250 and you don't reach it, you can simply open the vents up a little to get some more air. Better to only be at 235 and have to raise it instead of at 270 and have to cool it.

I knew I should have closed the vents sooner, the temps just climbed faster than I expected and caught me doing something else at the moment.

I went outside at 10:00am this morning to check on the smoker and its still hot. I opened the door to check the coals and there are still quite a few and some around the edges never did light. I opened the vents back up so the fire can just burn itself out. This smoker must be a little more airtight than I thought. My other smoker will completely burn out the coals by the next morning with all of the vents closed. I think I will stick a thermometer in the top vent just to see how hot it does get.

Wayne

I just stuck one of my small weber thermometers in the top vent and it went to 320 before stopping. I have all three bottom vents about 1/3 open and the top vent open all the way. I'll probably leave it like that to see how long it keeps a decent temp.

If I had more meat I could probably cook something else because there is still quite a bit of coals left.

Wayne

Well, its now almost 6:00pm here and the smoker is still going. The temp is now at 240, down from the 320 it was at 10:30am this morning when I first stuck the thermometer in the top vent hole. I've not touched the vents since I set them this morning.

I first lit the coals yesterday at around 1:00pm so I'm pretty impressed that its still going. The coals are getting down there but still have a way to go before they are gone. Its been burning for 29 hrs so far.

Wayne

Just for another comment, I'd like to say I have a WMS, 18 1/2 inch, and I'm NOT a pro and I had a high temp I could not get down. I finally discovered I had piled on so much briquette charcoal the water pan was hitting the charcoal and the middle chamber was not seated properly and smoke was coming out of it, out of the top thermometer, and out around the corners of the side door. I NEVER open any of my vents except the top one. I have a DIGIQ2 Guru for temp control and I only open my top vent 1/2 or 1/4 and see how it does. The DigiQ keeps the temp right on target. I use Stumps Briquettes and they have served me well. I also learned to leave the center of the charcoal chamber with less charcoal to allow the water pan to sit down and seal the unit. And last, I use the Mexican Clay Plate wrapped in foil sitting on top of my water bowl. I also wrap the water bowl in foil for easy clean up. I have never had any more temperature issues. I have never used water in my pan. This is my way, and there are hundreds of other ways, but this works great for me.

My smokers are the older ones with the shallow water pans and I don't pile the charcoal past the top of the charcoal ring. I actually hollow out the middle of unlit charcoal a little and place my lit coals there.

I also foil the water pan and do not use water.

This was my first cook on this smoker since I bought it off of CL. I never had this problem on my other smoker. I think my problem was I let the temps get a little higher than I normally do before I shut down the vents.

The ribs still turned out good.

Wayne

I leave ALL my vents closed, even during star up, EXCEPT the top vent. I open it 1/4 to 1/2 open during start up and I'm using the DigiQ 2 Guru DX and it fans the fire very well up to target temperature and then the temp stops, and stays on target the remainder of the smoke.

I leave my top vent open 1/2 to 1/4 during all smokes and it works for me. Temp comes up steadily to target.

Back