Can't get hot enough

Keith House

I have the 22.5' WSM, and we decided to attempt our first turkey today. The method that I read to go by says to leave vents open and get to 325-350 for 2.5 to 3 hours. I followed the instructions with the can starter, filling it all the way and getting it white hot. Then I added more charcoal, got those going with all the coals covered with ash, then I put the turkey on.

At first my temp went as high as 275, then it backed down to 250 and it has been sitting there ever since. I just got back from the store with more kingsford and started another can to add more hot coals, but besides that, why didn't I ever get above 275?

Does temp or humidity have anything to do with it? It is not very windy and at 70 degrees now with a 61% humidity level. All vents have been open, just wondering what I did to stagnate the heating process.

Keith, are you using the water pan filled with water? That will keep your temps down. Use sand or nothing at all or dont even put the water pan in it. If you choose not to use anything or not put the water pan in it, you will have to watch your temps pretty close.

Keith, most of us turn the door upside down and open an inch or so to get temps up. Lump also burns a bit hotter than Kingsford. Definitely no water, I just foil the water pan empty. Keep all vents open till you get within 25 -40 of your target.

Ditto to what has been said. Also that built in thermo has been known to read 50-75 deg less than actual grate temp.

Tim

On my 18" WSM, I like to tilt the lid a little to get higher temps. Easier to do than the upside down propped door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Lai:
On my 18" WSM, I like to tilt the lid a little to get higher temps. Easier to do than the upside down propped door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, Paul. Try a wood shim between the lid and middle section. Let's you "dial in" the higher temps a little better...Push it in for more air, pull out for less. I stopped propping the door after stumbling on this technique.

IMG_2600.jpg

There are obviously several ways to introduce more air and get HH. I like letting the air in lower on the body of the smoker, it seems that you loose less smoke that way. I might even be into cutting an additional lower vent or two. I have seen this done on here somewhere.

Mark

I did the high heat brisket this weekend and I propped the door open for about 10 minutes, before I knew it temps were over 400!! I had to back it down quick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey, Paul. Try a wood shim between the lid and middle section. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the idea!

i have a hard time getting my 22 up to over 300.
i use RO lump and a stoker.
that sucker is BIG!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith House:
I followed the instructions with the can starter, filling it all the way and getting it white hot. Then I added more charcoal, got those going with all the coals covered with ash, then I put the turkey on.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps by the time your second batch of coals got hot, the coals in the first batch were past their prime or getting there. If you are going to do this type of cook often, IMO, get another chimney so you can start two at once. I have no experience with the 22" WSM. Just a thought.

Well, my Weber chimney was lent out and I haven't gotten it back yet. I used a smaller (and poorer quality) back up chimney that I use when traveling with my Smokey Joe. It holds about 70 briquettes and I mounted it over the top. That may have been the problem - not enough briquettes.

But after I posted this, I lit two more cans, and I still couldn't get it over 310 at the max (leveled off at 300 mostly). Good news is I smoked the turkey for a total of 3.5 hours and the bird was perfect! My guests were raving and they want me to cook up two for a party in a month.

Also, I always only use the competition grade Kingsford briquettes - they get HOT and leave very little ash afterward.

As a side note; I used my leaf blower in the past and pointed it at the vents and that shot the heat up pretty quickly. This time around, I tried the air from my compressor - not so good. But it was fun boggling my wife's mind with both methods!

And thanks for the welcome remarks.

Back