Can't Believe My CyberQ Wifi...

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
Set up the the CyberQ Wifi for 250. Lit one spot in my Primo XL, set upper door to about 1/8" open, closed the lid and let it go. Within 1/2 hour, temp was inching up to 250. 1 degree overshoot and that's it! In the 1/2 hour, swings from 245 to 252...amazing.
I am completely amazed because my other controller had huge overshoots and bounced around big time, during the first 2 hours. Now I'm 1 1/2 hour into the cook and the CQ is rocking 249 to 251. I was told by the other company that close control of my XL temp would be difficult at best, do to it's oval shape, so I had little hope with the CQ, but I had to try. I'm so glad I did.
Can't wait to use it in the WSM. It should hold rock steady in that.
The "open lid" feature worked great. It took just about 15 minutes for the CQ to get the temp back up to 250, then another 5 or 10 to steady it out to 248 to 251. I am freakin amazed! This is exactly what I expected and hoped my other controller would do, but didn't even come close.
I'm no PID expert, but one interesting difference I saw was that the other controller blower would stay on constant until really close to set temp and by that time, temps were really climbing fast. As a result, overshoot was inevitable and amounted to 30 degrees or more. The CQ started pulsing way below the set temp and approached it degree by degree...it totally made sense.
I don't know how the CQ will do with other temps, but at 250, it's as good as dead on as anyone can expect. And, by the way, wifi held the entire time, unlike my other controller whose connection was tentative at best.

Reviving an old thread...

Are you still happy with your CyberQ? Have you tried it with your WSM? I have a WSM 18-1/2, and am considering asking Santa for a CyberQ.

Thanks!

Reviving an old thread...

Are you still happy with your CyberQ? Have you tried it with your WSM? I have a WSM 18-1/2, and am considering asking Santa for a CyberQ.

Thanks!
Still lov'n my CQ! Works great in the WSM, too. I just recently set the CQ to do a 450* cook in my Primo. It took a little while for it to get there, since I only lit one spot and closed it up. At any rate, 3 to 5 degree swings, once at 450*...amazing! In the WSM, I do often do 250 to 350* cooks and the CQ holds within just a couple of degrees. I love it.

Are you using the remote functions to control it? If so, just at home or have you set it up so you can control it from outside your network? Easy to control remotely?

I appreciate your responses, and it looks like Santa and I may need to have a "talk."

To be honest...no, I don't use the remote functions. I haven't gotten there yet. I'm just not a tech-type.

I have the CyberQ WIFI on my 18.5" WSM. So easy to use. When I smoked my turkey at 325 I opened 2 lower vents slightly for more air. I had no issues keeping it at 325. Top vent was fully open.

I use it off my iPhone, Macbook or iPad with no issues. On my network and remotely. It makes monitoring everyhting so much easier. It even sends me a text message if it gets too low or too hot.

I use it off my iPhone, Macbook or iPad with no issues. On my network and remotely. It makes monitoring everything so much easier. It even sends me a text message if it gets too low or too hot.

William: I'm pretty good with technology, but by no means am I an IT "pro." How difficult was it to set up so you could monitor and/or control both while you're at home on your local network, as well as away from home?

Also, I have Android devices (phone and tablet). My understanding is that there is no Android app. Do you know whether I will still be able to monitor/control the CyberQ from my Android devices? What about controlling through Windows XP or 7 while at home or away?

Thanks for your help!

William: I'm pretty good with technology, but by no means am I an IT "pro." How difficult was it to set up so you could monitor and/or control both while you're at home on your local network, as well as away from home?

Also, I have Android devices (phone and tablet). My understanding is that there is no Android app. Do you know whether I will still be able to monitor/control the CyberQ from my Android devices? What about controlling through Windows XP or 7 while at home or away?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132610

http://wedonet.net/

Thanks for your help!

In your home on your network it's as simple as typing the ip address into your web browser.

In order to view externally its just port forwarding.

I just ordered one of these bad boys for a Christmas present for myself.

I'm kinda geeky, and this looks likes it's gonna be cool stuff.

Bob

<edit>
It took me 4 hours of playing, but I finally got it to securely connect to my wireless router tonight. This thing is going to be cool to actually cook with.
</edit>

Last edited:

Back