Cannot remove the Membrane on a BB rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Help! 2 out of 3 membranes came off instantly. I fought with the 3rd rack for >20 mins and could not get any grip/removal.

What are my options?

If I smoke with the membrane, how will it effect them?

Thanks,
~ Sean

Maybe that third one doesn't have a membrane? Sometimes they are mysteriously missing. Seriously. If it's there but you can't get it off, just leave it alone. You probably won't notice a huge difference, just the meat near the backside of the bone will eat a litte tougher.

Some people score the membrane with a sharp knife in a diamond pattern instead of removing it, but I don't see how this does anything.

Regards,
Chris

Don't sweat it Sean. I've had some that were a dickens to get off. Tore off in pieces. Alot of restaurants don't even remove them. The biggest case for removing them is to get some rub/flavor/smoke into the backside. Other than a butter knife to start and a paper towel for grip, I haven't used another process.

I agree with Chris, sometimes the membrane just isn't there.

My method for removing the membrane is to take a butter knife and wedge it between the membrane and one of the middle bones. Once you've created a finger-sized gap move your finger back and forth between the membrane and rib until you've created a "tunnel" from the bottom of the membrane to the top. Then pull up from the middle.

I find starting in the middle easier than starting at one end because it's so difficult to get a good grip on the ends.

Also, it's much easier to get the membrane off cleanly from baby backs than from spares. So if you're having that much trouble with baby backs the membrane is probably gone.

Bill

I've had the same issue particularly with the cryovac 3-pack from Sams. More often than not, at least one rack won't have a membrane. I've also not removed the membrane (forgot to do it) and haven't noticed a big difference in the end.

Enjoy your cook.

Sean,
Use a clean pair of pliers. Not needle nosed, but regular pliers. Needle nosed will just tear the membrane. I start from the middle and run my fingers underneath them membrane towards the ends. Works great for me! Good luck.

On FoodTV tonight I noticed a cook-off team using fish skinner pliers to remove the membrane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back