Cannot access Heatermeter

Steve Conway

Hello,

So my HM has been working great for over a year when I built it. I bought a new router and the wifi settings changed. So I brought it inside and hardwired it to my network. I was able to access it directly. I did go into the NETWORK settings and I deleted one of the adapters in there. I thought it was for my old Wifi. Anyway, as soon as I did that, I lost all connection with the HM. I went to heatermeter.com/devices and it just should timeouts.

So I reinstalled the software to my SD card. Same thing. The IP that comes up is 192.168.200.1. But it always shows timeout when I go to heatermeter.com/devices. I did hook up a monitor to see the start up and it appears to be working. I didn't see any errors but I also didn't look that closely.

Any suggestions?

If your don't mind resetting your config you could use the HM menu to navigate to the RESET screen and do a reset. I believe the wifi will revert back to AP mode and the LAN settings should be reset when you do this. Then you should be able to connect to the HM via LAN cable again and scan for wireless networks...
In this case you apparently removed the LAN interface from what you are reporting, IDK how the HM reset will deal with that? I'm guessing it will restore it but not sure, if the LAN doesnt work after reset you can connect to the HM in AP mode with a wireless device and fix the LAN config...
Also, the HM has a fallback LAN interface that should be there even if you deleted the LAN interface, it should default to 192.168.200.1 I think... You could take a PC and manually assign the IP 192.168.200.XX to it and then connect to the HM LAN to get access so you can fix things.

Last edited:
That's the problem. I can't access the HM menu now. When I go to heatermeter.com/devices, I get timeouts. I added a monitor and keyboard to the Pi so I can see what's going on. It does show that my IP is 192.168.200.1 But I can't reach this IP address from other computers on my network nor can I ping to another IP from my Pi.

Also, when I log into my router, it does not show that my Pi is connected at all. I don't see a wired connection with IP 192.168.200.1

I cannot even ping my router from the Pi

Last edited:
No, I mean on the physical HM, using the buttons on the front, navigate the menu on the LCD to RESET CONFIG...

and the reason you can't access the HM from computers on your LAN is because your lan is probably not using the block 192.168.200.XX . You would need to change either your router or a PC to be in the block 192.168.200.XX in order to communicate to your HM. Since the HM is not connecting to your network it does not have internet access, so it can't report to the HM website...

Glad I could help, I know how frustrating it can be when you are having connectivity issues with a HM and you just want to fire up the grill!

Back