Canned Jalapenos

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
So I wanted to post something but had no great insight. Then I thought of this...

If you haven't made your favorite stuffed jalapeno recipe (ABTs, fried buffalo turds, whatever) with canned jalapenos, you are missing a bet! You'll need whole canned jalapenos of course, pick the largest ones, cut them in half lengthwise and proceed as you normally do. I usually use fresh jalapenos so this is a real treat.

To try to stay somewhat in Chris's guidelines here's my typical.

About 4-6 jalapenos
About a half cup shredded sharp cheddar
About 2 oz cream cheese
A slice of ham (VA Baked preferred)
Possibly a tsp various cheeses (Bleu, feta, whatever you have)
A tbsp Cajun spice
Panko for spreading on top
Salt if or as desired

Clean the jalapenos, cut strips of ham to similar size as jalapenos, and line jalapeno halves. Mix all cheeses and Cajun spice. Fill jalapeno halves (I find rolling some cheese mix in your hands and mashing into the jalapenos to fill even with edges works well). Sprinkle with Panko, salt if desired. Heat grill to 350-400*, set jalapeno pieces indirect and cook about 20 min or to your liking.

I often smoke these with whatever I have on, then finish on my grill or cool and wrap individually in wax paper storing/freezing in a freezer bag to reheat on grill when wanted.

I actually find that the ham is preferable to bacon wrapped.

So I wanted to post something but had no great insight. Then I thought of this...

If you haven't made your favorite stuffed jalapeno recipe (ABTs, fried buffalo turds, whatever) with canned jalapenos, you are missing a bet! You'll need whole canned jalapenos of course, pick the largest ones, cut them in half lengthwise and proceed as you normally do. I usually use fresh jalapenos so this is a real treat.

To try to stay somewhat in Chris's guidelines here's my typical.

About 4-6 jalapenos
About a half cup shredded sharp cheddar
About 2 oz cream cheese
A slice of ham (VA Baked preferred)
Possibly a tsp various cheeses (Bleu, feta, whatever you have)
A tbsp Cajun spice
Panko for spreading on top
Salt if or as desired

Clean the jalapenos, cut strips of ham to similar size as jalapenos, and line jalapeno halves. Mix all cheeses and Cajun spice. Fill jalapeno halves (I find rolling some cheese mix in your hands and mashing into the jalapenos to fill even with edges works well). Sprinkle with Panko, salt if desired. Heat grill to 350-400*, set jalapeno pieces indirect and cook about 20 min or to your liking.

I often smoke these with whatever I have on, then finish on my grill or cool and wrap individually in wax paper storing/freezing in a freezer bag to reheat on grill when wanted.

I actually find that the ham is preferable to bacon wrapped.
Dang! Never thought of that. I do prefer canned (pickled) Jalapeños on burgers, nachos and as garnish on side dishes. Definitely going to be trying this. Thanks!

I was looking for this recipe as a basis for another post, but I had forgotten that I wrote it up as "Canned Jalapenos". Truth is, this is (was?) my standard recipe for stuffed jalapenos using fresh jalapenos. I use canned occasionally for a different twist, but I typically buy 4 to 6 fresh jalapenos at least once a week (often twice) to prepare with this recipe as an appetizer for many meals. When my sister visits, she ALWAYS requests these and would be very disappointed if I didn't provide them.

So hopefully, you'll see my new thread on this topic under Grilling.

We use "jarred" jalapenos (pickled?) in our slaw, and I put them in with our beer brats. I like it better than fresh in these two instances

Back