Canadian Bacon

Because the meat is cured you have a choice. I prefer 220. Same for buckboard but much lower for bellies.

Yes, but I'm not in Canada, so its Canadian Bacon, eh? You also use celcius too! LOL

You consider our Bacon "back bacon" don't you?

Seriously though, I thoght I've heard some cold smoking the loin, like at 170f.

From what I have read in back treads. If ya want to read more go to Pork threads and go to 2nd page. But in a nut shell. Smoke for about 3 hours at 160 until meat reaches 142 degrees. Remove and cool down with ice water until it gets to 110 degrees. I also read somewhere that useing 6 to 8 pcs of charcoal will get you desired temps you will need but ya may want to do a dry run first.

When i did mine i tried to keep it as low as possible. I was shooting for 140 no smoke for the first hour to dry the outside abit (per the book "Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas). I then added smoke wood and raised the temp to 160 for the remaining time and pulled it off when internal temp of the bacon was 142. It came out fantastic. I used hickory and apple wood 50/50 for the smoke. Total time was 6 hrs on the WSM. I'll be making it all the time.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I just did some CB on the day before Thanksgiving. I cured a 8.5 lb boneless pork loin in Hi Mtn. for 14 days. Put one unlit starter full of Kingsford in the ring and one lit starter full. Added 3 baseball sized chuncks of hickory and three of maple. Closed all bottom vents and top vent to 50%. Let WSM come down to about 180F and soaked the loin in several changes of water for 1 hour, dried it and painted the loin with maple syrup and coated it in coarsely ground black pepper. Filled with water pan with water and ice and let it cook for 6 hours at between 160 and 180 until an internal of 145. As per there being no Canadian bacon in Canada, perhaps the French want it. My 9 year old son aske if I could make him some of that "French bacon" for breakfast on Saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon:
Yes, but I'm not in Canada, so its Canadian Bacon, eh? You also use celcius too! LOL

You consider our Bacon "back bacon" don't you?

Seriously though, I thoght I've heard some cold smoking the loin, like at 170f. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have what we call back bacon or peameal bacon. I'm not exactly sure what cut it is but is is fairly lean and it is coated in cornmeal.

I was using the Guru trying to keep the temp down. It overshot my target of 140 but it came back down. Next time i'm going to go the coffee can route with just a very small amount of charcoal and see how that works. I was doing the bacon in the middle of summer which didn't help with keeping the temp low.
icon_rolleyes.gif

James, back bacon or peameal is a boned loin that has been cured then rolled in corn meal. great for grilling or for frying.

Canadian Bacon is the cured loin that is smoked

it's all good

reg

Back