Canadian 1100 Redhead - Almost done

Did you use the regular high heat or the high heat max?
I honestly don't remember. I'm thinking it was max, for the 1200F range but it was what Lowes had on the shelf that week. It was OK, but I started using Rustoleum high heat ultra and bought a three pack of that online as it was not available locally for some reason.

Something may have gone wrong in your prep maybe? Did you use any type of solvent on the firebox before you painted it?

I would try the Krylon out, but it just isn't available around here. I think Walmart has it, but many of their paint selections are sold out and the Krylon HH is one of them.

In fact, I am seeing empty slots for a lot of different spray paints, to include the Rustoleum High Heat offerings. I guess it is just another one of the things we blame on Covid.

Something may have gone wrong in your prep maybe? Did you use any type of solvent on the firebox before you painted it?
I wiped the firebox with acetone before painting it. Should I have used something else?

Included some pictures of the affected areas.

Attachments

• 20210927_180802.jpg
    20210927_180802.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210927_180750.jpg
    20210927_180750.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 12
I would try the Krylon out, but it just isn't available around here. I think Walmart has it, but many of their paint selections are sold out and the Krylon HH is one of them.

In fact, I am seeing empty slots for a lot of different spray paints, to include the Rustoleum High Heat offerings. I guess it is just another one of the things we blame on Covid.
Similar stock issues by me.

I feel for you, it's not a great feeling when you put the work in and you don't get the desired result. Acetone is a pretty accepted way of prepping metal so something else must have gone wrong. It may have been the paint, it may have been the way you painted. All I can suggest at this point is to try and get all of that bad paint off and try to fix it.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but where your paint is bubbling on the front of your cookbox is where it was the most worn in your before picture.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but where your paint is bubbling on the front of your cookbox is where it was the most worn in your before picture.
That has cross my mind, I did wire wheel those areas to try to remove as much oxidation as possible. My plan for now is just keep using it and in the spring I will remove any bad paint and repaint it. Hopefully by then I can track down some high heat max and maybe a donor bbq with a cookbox that in better condition.

Back