can you suggest another cut of beef?

john enea

TVWBB Fan
the girlfriend wants to do a fillet Mignon roast that we have done before. but this time we need to do it for about 15 people and that is going to be expensive. I was hoping you guys could suggest other cuts that would be suitable. I usually sear each side to brown and then roast about two or so hours at 250-300.

thanks

Tenderloin is the tenderest cut of beef & favored by the woman folk in my family.
Two ideas of tender flavorful cuts that would work are
Loin ( think rib-eye) runs 1/3 to 1/2 less than tenderloin or top sirloin even less.
2 years ago learned to appreciate top sirloin cut into steaks when business slowed , really a great meat.

CA is the home of tri tip! available everywhare. think its on sale for $2.59 per pound in the 16 pound whole in cryovac

was thinking of doing a strip loin but didnt concider a rib eye. top sirloin was more what i was thinking of. but i can get a whole loin/strip cryovac choice angus NY for around $4 per pound so leaning towards that

Ribeye baby!!! Lots of fat, love, flavor...need any help??
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Costco sometimes has prime Rib Eyes or try the NY steaks also NY strip steaks, T bone or Porterhouse steaks.

The NY Strips steaks are just the T Bone steaks without the tenderloin section.

John

John if u can get ur hands on some black angus fajitas, with about 40-50 dollars u can feed 30 people easy. Imo they are better than any steak with the exception of a prime dry aged steak.

If you can buy tri for $2.59 a pound then you should do it in honor of those of us that have to pay $6+ for it. And they say the cost of living is higher in CA.....

I'd hit Costco and see what the options are. They often have both prime and choice new york and ribeye cuts in a variety of sizes.

Nothing is as tender as tenderloin. But then, no roast is better than a rib roast (prime rib) or Rib Eye Steaks if you want steaks. Rib roasts are usually cheaper per pound than tenderloin, but there is more waste so you might spend about as much total.

But if you want to save money, there are plenty of good alternatives. Top Sirloin makes a nice steak and is very cost effective. Skirt steak costs a bit more than Sirloin, but it's fabulous marinated and cooked hot and fast.

We're doing prime rib in the WSM and lobster tails on the Smoky Joe, along with veggies on the Smoky Joe. I have to find a place that doesn't want to sell me the whole thing because I'm cooking for two.

i went to cash and carry on the way home yesterday and really was not impressed with what I saw so went home empty. But just in time, the coscto yearly rebate check came in and this year you can't buy alcohol with it
icon_mad.gif
(I usually buy one nice Bordeaux bottle of wine). so i got a 17 pound prime rib eye roast. At $9.19 per pound it was cheaper than I thought. so let's hope I don't F it up!

john,

If you have never tried a flat iron, you must! It is the unknown butcher/chefs favorite and is soo good!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
john,

If you have never tried a flat iron, you must! It is the unknown butcher/chefs favorite and is soo good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've looked for it locally and had no luck. one high end meat market had it but at $6.99 per pound I passed. would love to try it though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but at $6.99 per pound I passed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, around here its always much cheaper!

Back