Can you over brine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

All this turkey talk has got me excited about cooking a big bird. I have brined chicken and turkey in the past but usually just do it over night. I was wondering if doing a long brine (24 hours or so in ice cold brine) would be better or if that is to long. Thanks for any input.

I usually only brine overnight-- about 12-14 hours max. Nearly all of what I have read indicates that over-brining is to be avoided-- that you may end up with mushy rather than moist and tender.

A turkey can be brined from 12 to 48 hours without harm. A 48 hour brine may be saltier tasting than the shorter time of course.
If your are going to use citrus juice as part of the brine then cut down the times.
Jim

I used the apple juice brine found here this past weekend, on a turkey breast. I brined for 24 hours, and it turned out great.

...BTW, I chilled the brine 12 hours before adding the breast.

The first turkey breast I brined (apple brine), was overnite and it came out kind of mushy for my tastes. It wasn't a big breast and the next one I do I will brine it much shorter time. Continuing to learn a lot each time I cook with the WSM.
Lane

I used a pretty heavy (salty) brine on a turkey breast recently. Soaked it for 8 hours. Texture and juicyness was great--but it was too salty for my tastes.

Next time will cut salt in half, and keep the time about the same
Dale

Remember that if a recipe calls for 1 cup of Kosher salt and you're using MORTON brand, cut the salt to 3/4 cup. Morton K salt is flaked differently from other brands, thus 1/2 cup NON-iodized table salt = 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt = 1 cup Diamond Kosher salt.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back