Can you help me identify a part (Genesis S330)? Is it 'critical' to replace?

Roger Resnicoff

Hello! I 'inherited' a mostly-destroyed, rusted-out Genesis S330 grill when I bought my house a few months back. Using the immense and amazing resources in this forum, I've mostly brought it back to health.
Only problem is, there's one part that's totally rusted out, which I'm unable to identify, and not sure if it really needs replacing (or if I can just mostly remove it). I'm not able to identify it using the Weber schematics, and the person I called at Weber wasn't able to, either.

It's a metal piece (see picture, CIRCLED IN RED-- totally rusted out) that is attached t the front of the cookbox, but doesn't seem to have any real purpose.

Do I need to replace this piece for proper function? Can you identify it, so I can ask Weber correctly?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• WeberPartID.jpg
    WeberPartID.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 22
Hi Roger,

It is a SS heat shield to protect the controls on the other side. The Sear burner adds a bit of heat to the LH side so I presume this is in place to deflect some of it.

On option is to find a piece of SS, 18 gauge would be fine, cut it to fit, bend the top in to space it off and you should be fine. Or, order one from weber.

I'll see if I can find the part number if you wish to buy one.

20230522_122607.jpg20230522_122625.jpg

Last edited:
Schematic for my 2016 E330 lists this part

31 62765 Heat shield for cookbox, Genesis '11

You might find it for less if you shop around:

Here is the schematic for my 2016 E330 NG. The heat shield on the inside of the cookbox is on both LP and NG models.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick reply!
Do you think it's *critical* to replace? Doesn't seem so to me. I'm not even sure I could remove the rusted remains (that bolt isn't moving at all), so if it's not absolutely important, I might save the effort/expense.
Do you think it''ll fall under the warranty?

I would leave the rusted remains. It is below grate level and probably deflects a little heat even as badly rusted as it is.

Is it critical? I presume that when weber designed the E330 with the sear burner they felt it was needed. It does not exist on a same year E310 without the sear burner.

Adding that extra burner in between two existing burners does make a "hot spot." I doubt Weber's bean counters would have added it if they thought they could get by without it. I bought a new one for the rehab I am working in right now.

If they don't cost too much, I would just replace it with a new one. Have you tried removing the screw holding it on yet?
If it was me, I would probably source up a piece of stainless steel and fab one up. It seems like a simple rectangular piece would work fine.

Yeah it's nothing fancy but does show the firebox is not up to that much heat concentrated in that tight an area

I replaced the heat shield on our S-330 when I was replacing worn-out parts. The plastic clips for starter wires on that side of the control panel had melted, so I think the heat shield is necessary.
Agreed, Weber wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't necessary. I've seen enough pictures of that model grill with a melted cookbox to know it isn't that robust to begin with. I guess as long as you never used the extra burner, you could live without that piece intact.

8 years old but has a lot of heavy use including the sear burner. I'm going with it is needed.

52923691619_782096e3db_b.jpg

New cookbox is sitting in the driveway, waiting on other parts to come in and cleaning rust from the cabinet. 25 year warranty on cookbox but have to purchase the heat shield because it is not covered. I didn't have to think twice about ordering it. The wires to the ignitor's were a bit hard and crispy, but still worked, along with a plastic clip melted from the backside as mentioned.

Back