Can you bbq Tri tip and chicken together?

Peg

I'm having friends over for Labor Day. Ralph's has tri tip on sale ($1.77/lb) but I have one guest who doesn't eat red meat. I'm new at this but have had success w/vertical chicken but have never tried tri tip. Can you cook t tip low & slow? or will this dry it out? It looks like folks cook their t.t. over a moderate temp, more like 350 or higher. Should I just fire up the Performer for the tri's and do the chicken on the WSM? Thanks Peg

Cook your chicken higher. It will work great. If you're going to do the TT low and slow, take it to an internal temperature of 105 or so then finish it over HOT direct heat to get a sear on it until it's 125-135 internal depending on how rare you like it.

Tri Tip can be done at low temperature, however I feel it is better done at 3oo to 350. This temperature is also good for chicken. You did not say wether you are doing chicken parts or a whole chiken. Either way my feeling is that these temps will work.

Peg, I cook my Tris on the WSM on the lower grate, no water pan in place. I cook chicken the same way. I flip the Tri after 15-20 min so the other side gets some char as well.

For tri tip, I do them real hot and real fast, probably 15 mins for one in the 2.5 lb range. I've done a bunch of them, always delicious. One of my go-to meals is tri-tip and Roadside chicken. The chicken is already going on the kettle at high heat, so I slap the tri-tip on when the chicken is nearing completion and they are both done at the same time. I've actually never done Tri on the WSM, only on the kettle, so I can't speak to that approach, but if you have a kettle, you can make some **** fine bird and beef.

Back