Can we use mesquite in WSM?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Aloha, all!

I'm seriously considering getting a WSM very shortly. My experience thus far has been mostly grilling on my Aussie Walkabout portable and helping out with cooking in underground pits ("imu" in Hawaiian)for luau.

While I've toured this website, I noticed that all of the instructions state to use briquettes (specifically Kingsford). Now, where I live, mesquite is quite plentiful (we call it "kiawe" here).

Is it possible to use mesquite in a WSM (cut to appropriate size, of course...can't use the regular 1' chunks as in a grill)?

Many thanks for your help with this newbie question!

Mark

In some parts, mesquite is considered on the same level as a weed. As to firing a WSM with it-- if that's what you're asking-- I would recommend against it. A little mesquite goes a long way, and it's primary use as a fire source is in grilling rather than BBQing, where it is used more minimally, and sparingly, as a smoke wood.

Mark,
Don't know if this will help. When I first started cuein(I am dating myself, mid 80's} I bought an old Lyfe Tyme. Couldn't wait to fire it up. Old cue head told me I needed to smoke with green mesquite. I totally wasted a lot of meat. Course you don't use green anything to smoke, and I am sure he had a good laugh at my expense, but I have never used Mesquite again. Ever.
WSM probably works best using charcoal or lump in conjunction with wood chunks. That is the only way I have ever used it.
You might have success using mesquite with charcoal, but in my opinion you do not want to use mesquite. Mesquite is plentiful here in Texas, but it is used mainly with grilling. When people smoke something, they may use a little mesquite, but the main wood is oak or some other hard wood. My opinion is mesquite will make it taste bitter. But that is my opinion, and I have already confessed that it is a slanted one.
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark B. Macanas:
[qb] Aloha, all!

I'm seriously considering getting a WSM very shortly. My experience thus far has been mostly grilling on my Aussie Walkabout portable and helping out with cooking in underground pits ("imu" in Hawaiian)for luau.

While I've toured this website, I noticed that all of the instructions state to use briquettes (specifically Kingsford). Now, where I live, mesquite is quite plentiful (we call it "kiawe" here).

Is it possible to use mesquite in a WSM (cut to appropriate size, of course...can't use the regular 1' chunks as in a grill)?

Many thanks for your help with this newbie question!

Mark [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Howzit Mark,

If you're gonna use kiawe to barbecue, make sure it's charcoal and not green wood. Mesquite smoke is a strong flavor and too much of it is not a good thing. You could probably find kiawe charcoal at a restaurant supply store.

As far as flavoring woods, there are so many great fruit trees like mango, guava, and lychee that you could use.

Laters!

I live the heart of mesquite country. In fact, there is a vacant lot across the street from my house that's full of mesquite trees. I love it for steaks and burgers but would never use it in the WSM. It's just too strong a flavor for me. In a long smoke your meat can come out tasting bitter. Some people like a bitter taste, e.g., gourmet coffee drinkers. But, for me the stuff is just too strong for smoking. Great to use on the kettle though, for short hot cooking.

Hey, thanks, guys!! Really appreciate all the replies and advice.

Ok, so I'm now on the same page as everybody. Did a bit more research here and yes, I'll stick to charcoal, and possibly just add kiawe chips for smoke.

Friends of mine do a lot of sausage and venison smoking in huge smokers (one's made of an old refrigerator, I kid you not!) and kiawe is the wood of choice. I guess after eating kiawe-smoked meats for years, you develop a taste for it and it doesn't even seem bitter. I'll probably be in for a huge surprise the first time I start smoking with hickory or some other wood.

Now I ran into another problem today. None of the Weber retailers here sell the WSM. They sell the grills and the gas grill units, but not the WSM. Guess I'll have to order via the Internet, something I'm not too fond of doing. Has anyone had a similar experience where a local Weber retailer doesn't supply the WSM?

Mark

Mark,
I ordered mine here at The Forum. No sales tax, free shipping and it is my understanding that they kick back a little change to The Forum to help support it.
Was shipped by Big Brown and I was able to track it. Took 4 days. Saved money. Will buy my next one the same way.
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark B. Macanas:
[qb] Hey, thanks, guys!! Really appreciate all the replies and advice.

Ok, so I'm now on the same page as everybody. Did a bit more research here and yes, I'll stick to charcoal, and possibly just add kiawe chips for smoke.

Friends of mine do a lot of sausage and venison smoking in huge smokers (one's made of an old refrigerator, I kid you not!) and kiawe is the wood of choice. I guess after eating kiawe-smoked meats for years, you develop a taste for it and it doesn't even seem bitter. I'll probably be in for a huge surprise the first time I start smoking with hickory or some other wood.

Now I ran into another problem today. None of the Weber retailers here sell the WSM. They sell the grills and the gas grill units, but not the WSM. Guess I'll have to order via the Internet, something I'm not too fond of doing. Has anyone had a similar experience where a local Weber retailer doesn't supply the WSM?

Mark [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I haven't seen a "bricks and mortar" retailer who sells the WSM. If you order from Amazon.com through this link,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004U9VA/thevirtualweberb/002-0155099-0104000

it helps support the operation of this excellent website. Go for it; you won't be sorry! You might even make your friend with the fridge smoker envious!

Hey, that was a neat idea to have that dealie to give something back to the forum for every purchase! I think I'll go that way, too!

Mark

And remember, it's not just BBQ stuff that can help benefit this site, it's any Amazon purchase made by clicking thru from the links here. So, if you want that way cool Minolta film and slide scanner, like I did, using links on this website to get there will benefit TVWB.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb] Frank Boyer uses a lot of mesquite and seems to like it...of course, he gets it for free from his sponsor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I generally don't use Mesquite -- chunks or lump. Whenever I cook with it I find the flavor much to strong.

That being said, I have had Frank Boyer's BBQ several times and it is ...how should I say this....OUTSTANDING!!!! And yeah, I think he uses Lazzari Mesquite Lump exclusively. That's all I've ever seen him use.

So clearly, the problem is with my cooking, not the Mesquite!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Mark,
I use Keawe all the time, especally to cook or smoke Tako or Akule. I use the dry wood as a smoke chunk and not green wood for fire. I don't think you can get the same results if your going to fire up the keawe till a charcoal and use it that way. For one it would take too much time, you would constantly have to feed the WSM if your doing an overnighter (12 hrs. or more) and like the others said it might be too overpowering in smoke flavor. I go to Kilgos and purchase those cheap bags of chunked up dried Keawe and use 3-5 chunks per smoking session. Good for Pork butt, comes out like Kalua Pig, or Smoked Tako, Akule, Ulua/Papio and I'm gonna try experimenting with Laulau, got to find a cheap steamer though, still looking at the swap meets. Anyway I would cut up and dry out the Keawe and use it as smoking chunks. Never pressure out on life brah, go Molokai Style " If can can if no can no can." mattD /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*LOL* Thanks, Matt!

Well, I do have a sizeable stock of dried kiawe (12 months +) in my back yard, but my nephew mostly cut it for fireplaces (12" - 14" long), so I'm gonna have to bust out the ol' Sears' chainsaw and cut some of them down to manageable chunks (3" sound about right?).

Whoa! You're talking smoked tako and fish?!? Dang, you making me hungry, brah! *LOL* I've got a King Kooker setup from Gaspro for my laulau and I was able to do 36-40 medium sized laulau in the steamer basket (that's with meat + butterfish & luau leaf!!).

If I hear of anyone upgrading from their setup, I'll give you a holler from here.

Thanks, Braddah Matt! I like the "if can can, no can no can" motto!

Mark

[qb]Whoa! You're talking smoked tako and fish?!? Dang, you making me hungry, brah![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you seen the smoked tako in the Cooking Section?

Regards,
Chris

Speaking of tako and cooking, and really sorry to go OT here-- I rarely do-- but I would be remiss if I didn't point everyone to www.8legged.com

(It's the invertebrate Alton Brown. Enjoy!)

Hooooo-leeeee Moses!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gonna send my son-in-law out there to get some tako...he and my girl love their tako poke! Oops...forgot the WSM's still out there...Hurry Up, H&R Block!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mark /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have used Mesquite by itself and also mixed with a little pecan . It can be overpowering
but used lightly it can give very desirable results. It really is a versital wood. I have a BBQ buddy that also competes that has won the chicken competition using it.(in Ohio and Penn)
From what I have read I think Chris said that Kiawe is milder than Mesquite. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back