Can v4.0 or 4.1 run from 5v power?

Steve_M

TVWBB Guru
If I wanted to run in servo only mode, can I power the RasPi via USB and have the HM board still drive the 5v servo?

Sure can. Remember the servo pulls around an amp when it is moving, so make sure your power supply is beefy enough that it won't brown out the Pi.

Nice. I've got a portable charger that will do 1A and 2.1A

I'll give it an indoor test to see how long it can remain powered up. Looking to make the HM a little more portable without the need to be tethered to nearby power.

Starting the test now!

I've got a shell script moving the servo every 3 seconds to simulate a proper load.

zpNU7Q4l.jpg

Well, that was pretty anticlimactic since the graph looks to have been wiped out when I powered it back up. I do know it lasted at least 5 hours.

Steve,

I have a question somewhat related to this. If I want to run everything I need a 12v power supply even tho the board only uses 5v is there a 12v power supply for the blower in the ethernet port? Thanks

Sure can. Remember the servo pulls around an amp when it is moving, so make sure your power supply is beefy enough that it won't brown out the Pi.

Is it possible to run the servo and/or blower and the HM 4.1 w/ rPi with a 2.1a 5V microusb? I'm confused if the 12V barrel plug is needed strictly for the blower, or is there a transformer on-board the HM to run the board and both peripherals? I'm nervous about frying the rPi and want to avoid if possible.

Steve,

I have a question somewhat related to this. If I want to run everything I need a 12v power supply even tho the board only uses 5v is there a 12v power supply for the blower in the ethernet port? Thanks

Yes, the ethernet port will supply power to the fan and power + signal to the servo.

Pin 5 is +12v for the fan/blower

751utsil.png

Is it possible to run the servo and/or blower and the HM 4.1 w/ rPi with a 2.1a 5V microusb? I'm confused if the 12V barrel plug is needed strictly for the blower, or is there a transformer on-board the HM to run the board and both peripherals? I'm nervous about frying the rPi and want to avoid if possible.

No, the fan requires the HM to be powered from a 12v power supply.

The servo runs on 5v, so it can still be used if powering the the HM via the RasPi USB port.

Also, be sure to only use *one* power source at any given time.

To clarify a little, the barrel jack takes in 12V which is split off to the blower output as well as through a voltage regulator that steps it down for the Pi and the HeaterMeter components. You can alternatively plug in 5V to the microusb port on the Pi, which will power the Pi, HeaterMeter, and servo but the blower will not function. As Steve said, only one power source at a time.

Thanks guys! Yeah I was trying to figure out a good way to wire a long 10+ feet for power source and figured a USB cord would work but the adapters are all 5v. Found a 12V wallwart with a 8 foot cord. That will have to do.

Thanks guys! Yeah I was trying to figure out a good way to wire a long 10+ feet for power source and figured a USB cord would work but the adapters are all 5v. Found a 12V wallwart with a 8 foot cord. That will have to do.

Cut it in the middle and add more wire, it's only 2 wires, probably 18 gauge or smaller. I have franken-cables all over the house.... I have 1 power supply that I put quick disconnects at the plug end so that I can use different size plugs on the same supply (for things that rarely get used & I don't have a designated power source for. Beats having to sort through my box-o-power-supplies, which looks like some have been mating).

Lol yeah I know how that goes! I am trying to avoid cutting wires since I am making a waterproof case and connectors. I could splice a wire but that brings in a place it could short but it is an option.

Back