Can I please have a definite answer for steak temps.

Yianni

TVWBB Fan
I am always hit or miss on my steaks. Once in a while I get it spot on and they are the best steaks I have had in my life. Most of the time they are too rare then I overcook them.

My themapen is waiting for me on my porch tonight. I googled till I was cross eyed and the range of temps saying what is medium is so large I don’t know what to do.

I trust you all here more than my googling skills so what do you think.

I like my steaks pink, soft, juicy and hot in the center (I dont want solid white fat veins) so I guess this would be medium? You tell me the pull temp and ill trust you.

like this ..this looks perfect
icon_smile.gif

a5cc7986cd62348c2f053523bd395288.jpg

thanks!

I don't believe a thin cut like a steak will rise enough while resting to be worried about like a prime rib would

Nice lookin meat, medium rare? I always use the touch method. Never tried using the TP on steaks so no help on that. Try it together and find what gives you the best results.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I can't tell you what temp you will like, but the Thermapen is a great help in your quest. As you move the tip through the meat, you can see how the outside is hotter than the middle and then as you keep moving through the steak, you can see it gets hotter. Pay attention and take a few notes and pretty soon, you'll know exactly what you like. I'm a medium guy and that's about 140 for me.

thanks for the replys... yeah the touch method I just cant get it maybe now I can start relating temps to touch.

I wish I had some ribeyes at home usually thats my go to steak but those filets were on sale!

I posted this in early January re a similar question. "Been working lately to perfect my strip steak grilling technique. You're never going to reproduce the steak you get at, say, Peter Lugers or even Ruth's Chris, but you can come reasonably close. Providing you have access to good beef. Here in Conn, Stew Leonards sell prime strips. They are typically cut about 1.5in thick and they leave some of the fat on. Yeah, this is where the flavor is. Before the cook, I put them on the counter, covered with black pepper and smoked sea salt, for up to 2 hours. This won't get the steaks to room temp by a long shot, but gets them up to about 50°. I prefer to cook over lump charcoal, but expediency sometimes requires gas. Over a hot charcoal fire, it is on 3 minutes over the coals, rotate 90° for another 3 mins, then flip over for 3 and 3 again. Then to an indirect side of the grill to finish off until the interior temp is about 120°. Then plate, put a slab of butter on, and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes or so. During the 10 mins, finish up frying your twice-fried fries. At this point you've got a pretty good medium rare steak, if you started with a good piece of beef. Don't shy from a well marbled piece of beef with a layer of fat on the side. Cheers" I don't know what the final temp is, only that removal at 120° with a 10 min soak under an aluminum foil tent results in a perfect medium rare for the steak described above.

Yianni -

Everybody has their own definition of each degree of doneness and their own idea about the temperature that correlates with each degree of doneness.

I will tell you that, for me, the temperature at which I pull the steak off the grill depends on the thickness of the steak.

I shoot for medium rare. That is, in my book, red, warm center, which, again - in my opinion - translates to between 130 and 135 degrees internal temperature after resting.

Thinner steaks, I believe, have a carryover cooking effect of about 5 degrees, so I get them off between 125 and 130.

Thicker steaks, however, seem to have more of a temperature gain after removing them from the heat. I took WAY too many 1.5" to 2" porterhouse steaks to medium by not getting them off the grill early enough. So, when I'm cooking thicker steaks, I pull them between 120 and 125, and figure the temperature will continue to rise by up to 10 degrees after they come off the heat.

I generally cook meats to these temps for degree of doneness. These are just MY guides:
Rare - 115 to 120 (pull thin steaks at 110 - 115)
Med Rare - 130 - 135 (pull thin steaks at 125 - 130)
Medium - 140 - 145 (pull thin steaks at 135 - 140).

Beyond that? Get out of here, I'm not cooking you a steak!

Pat

Back