Can I fit all of this on my WSM?

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
So I want to cook 2 boston butts, 6 slabs of baby backs.

Can I squeeze the two butts on the bottom and the 6 slabs on the top using a rib rack? Maybe curl the edges on some of them with skewers or something?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason B:
So I want to cook 2 boston butts, 6 slabs of baby backs.

Can I squeeze the two butts on the bottom and the 6 slabs on the top using a rib rack? Maybe curl the edges on some of them with skewers or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can roll the slabs and skewer them. easily get 6 BB slabs on top, especially if each slab weighs in the 2 lb area. don't need a rib rack that way rolled ribs

Yes you can! You could actually fit more ribs and then 3 butts on the bottom if you needed to. Here's 6 racks of LB's on the top rack.

Of course, you could use a rib rack per Mr Wolfe above
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan,

That rib rack looks perfect. Where did you pick it up? Mine is one of those somewhat flimsy rib rack/potatoe type and I know it won't support fulls slabs like yours does in that pic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason B:
Bryan,

That rib rack looks perfect. Where did you pick it up? Mine is one of those somewhat flimsy rib rack/potatoe type and I know it won't support fulls slabs like yours does in that pic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jason, The one in the pic is from David Klose (Klose pits) He makes them now with the rods in there for baby backs. The one I have is about 5 years old and I put them in because the BB's would just fall through the hoops. I have one of those rib/potato racks as well. While flismy it should do the trick for you.
One caution. The very ends of the ribs will be in the hot zone. You might want to put some foil under them to protect the ends from the hot heat coming up the sides.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Link to pits by Klose.

I know this thread is a few years old - but I'm curious:

A loaded top grate like this - what cooking time are we talking about for standard bbq temps (250ish)? I know I can happily do 1 rack in 4 hours - adding 5 more racks are we talking about a 6-8 hour smoke?

John,

I've cooked two 8-1/2 lb butts and a 10-1/2 lb (trimmed) full brisket on my 22" in about 8 hours.

I cook 3 racks of baby backs on my 22" at ~250F in about 4 hours.

Thanks for your response Terre!

So you've done 3 racks of baby backs in 4 hours. That's in line with about how long I've done 1 baby back.

This weekend I'm doing 5 racks of babybacks on the top grate in a rib rack - do you think I should allow maybe 5 hours to get them done? I'm sure the more meat the longer it will take? Or is the WSM just that much of a beast. I'm trying to plan when the ribs will be done so my guests dont have to leave before the meal is done!

So to summarize: I know 1 rack can take 4 hours; Terre says 3 racks have been done in 4 hours; what about 5 or 6 racks like the loaded pictures in the top of this thread? 5-6 hours?

Whenever I'm doing ribs I follow a 3-2-1 formula, dosen't matter if it's 3 racks or even the one time I squeezed 15 racks in...which came out great.

This is interesting. My question comes about b/c I used to smoke ribs on my standard weber kettle. It worked great with 1-3 racks. When you get more than 3 (say 6) it would take 2-3 times as long. But I guess that is understandable since the fuel source in the kettle was literally 6-10 lit coals at a time. The fuel quantity just wasn't there for it. So I'm assuming that with the WSM I'll be able to smoke 5 racks in roughly the same amount of time that I can smoke 1 rack. Maybe I'll add an extra hour or two just to make sure they are done in time for my party.

I'd still welcome any more comments.

I should note that that 4 hours or so is for competition where you really don't want them 'falling off the bone'.

I cook them open for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, then wrap in foil and return for another hour to 90 minutes.

Then rest for 15 minutes or so and they should be ready. This is starting out at 200°F or so, letting it climb slowly to 275°F over 2 hours. If you can or do hold it to 225°F, you probably need a little longer. 5 hours should be plenty of time.

As far as general capacity, you should be able to comfortably fit (3) 8-9 lb butts on a single 18" rack or 6 racks of ribs in a rib rack.

I think you could squeeze six butts on a 22" grate and 8+ racks of ribs on each 22" grate. You can cook a serious amount of food on a 22" WSM. Just need to monitor temps/charcoal.

I've been getting ~12 hours out of a 20 lb bag of King blue. Maybe 10 or so with 70/30 mix of Wicked Good and King Blue (and smoke wood).

Since I have cooked a little more on my 22", I am starting to like it more and more. I still think the best cooker out there for a homeowner is by far the 18" WSM. It is pretty efficient on fuel, holds that 250°F temp almost automatically and can cook a decent amount of heat.

Of course, cooking in 50-70°F temps is a whole lot easier than worrying with the 30°F temps.

Back