Can green wood be dried in oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim C

TVWBB Fan
Awhile back, someone asked if it would be allright to dry green wood in the oven.
Well, he never got an answer because the thread took off in another direction.
I did a little checking on the Web and found one company that Kiln dries their wood at 120F
But they didn't say for how long.
I imagine that they have some way of measuring the moisture content of their wood that the Home Smoker doesn't have.
Do you think it's a good idea to load up the oven or just stack it in the garage for a year ?

Jim C

Hi Jim
The garage sounds cheaper. Actually, since you're in California pile it up outside (a few inches off the ground) The only rain you're going to get that might have any effect on it will be the Feb Mar monsoon season. Just throw a tarp over it

morgan

The smaller you cut it, the faster it dries. Shouldn't have to wait a year if it's cut into fist size chunks. Put it in the sun and it'll probably be usable in a month or so.

Search the web...there are several DIY passives solar and some active kiln descriptions out there. Would just speed things up a bit. And yes, then you need to get a would humidity tester.

Jim if you try the oven method, let me know
1- did it work?
2- did your wife threaten to kill you?
icon_eek.gif

I have a neighbour who always keeps "morning wood" (kindling) in the warming oven, I've been tempted to do the same - I'm sure it would work for smokewood too.

Thank you all for your responses.
Think I'll cut some into chunks and spread them out on a platform that I constructed today.
It gets direct sunlight most of the day and if it looks like rain, I'll throw a tarp over it.
The rest I'll just stack on the side of the house and cover with some plastic sheeting.

Jim C

This post came in at a good time. I was out of hickory and got a chance to cut two trees last weekend.Now I have plenty of hickory, but I want to cook in two weeks, and know better than to use green hickory. I have a use for that old electric Brinkman now.I took a 4 foot log , cut it in 1 1/2"- 2 "slices and split them . I got a weight on 4 of the chuncks so I would have an idea of how much water weight they lost . I was able to get that log in the Brinkman "in the cooking section". After 3 hours of heating I cut it off and let it stand for 8 hours and checked the weight of one of the chuncks. A 2 # 2 oz. chunck lost 3 oz. in that short time and had some heavy check cracks. It is under heat at this time , going for 12 hours this time . Will let ya know how it went.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James M-B:
I have a neighbour who always keeps "morning wood" (kindling) in the warming oven, I've been tempted to do the same - I'm sure it would work for smokewood too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And would that be the warming oven in your 1/2 ton Aga ?
icon_wink.gif

I've seasoned wood in the oven.... Green, fresh cut branches, about 2-3" in diameter, cut into chunks. I kept them in the kitchen and threw them in the oven a few times, after someting was baked and the oven was cooling. Works like a charm! I don't know if I'd put wood in there at 400 though...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And would that be the warming oven in your 1/2 ton Aga ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That'll be the warming oven in the 1/2 ton Rayburn that filled the house with smoke when the wind was in the NE, that needed feeding with coal each morning - (funny how the coal scuttle was always empty when I hadn't got dressed and it was wet & windy) but that still didn't get ripped out and replaced with a woodburner (I came very close). Now desperate to move into the 20th century (let alone the current one) we've converted it to oil and it's great. Not a patch on an AGA though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back