Can anyone Duplicate a Greenberg Turkey?

Clay Cope

TVWBB Fan
Since it's that time of the year, I had to ask. I've never smoked a turkey because my family has always ordered turkey's from Greenberg Turkey's www.gobblegobble.com out of Tyler Texas. I guess because we used to live in Tyler.

This is really a question for anyone who has had a Greenberg Turkey. Man, they are GOOOOD! If I could come close to what they do, I'd do turkey all the time. Anyone had it or tried to duplicate?

Id like to see a recipe as well. Looks like they use hickory wood and smoke low and slow. It would be interesting to see if anyone can dissect their rub.

Clay,

Been to Tyler a number of times but never had one of those turkeys. Their web page mentions a slow smoke with hickory. You could try a basic brine then season with some basics; salt, pepper, thyme, sage, tarragon, lemon zest. The hickory is interesting in that it's a strong wood. Normally I'd opt for a fruit or citrus wood, but if you're trying to duplicate their bird; give it a try. You may be aware that a slow cook implies a low temp which won't yield a crisp skin. May not be an issue with you.

Paul

Clay, thanks so much for posting your question about Greenberg turkey! I had not thought about them for a good while - without doubt the BEST turkey I've ever eaten was a Greenberg sent to Nashville for Christmas one year by my folks! Surely there are other Texans out there who've had one recently and can comment/guess on spices, etc. I'd give anything to even come close and I really think the rub is the key. GREENBERG turkeys ROCK!

Back