Calling all salt experts

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Kosher seems to be king. I have not done a taste test. Some have commented that they have a problem with the size of the grain. It does not shake like the other smaller grained ingredients in a rub. Some grind it smaller. Some leave it out and apply seperately.
Rightly or wrongly I have elected to use regular salt.
Am I missing something?

When it comes to BBQ rubs and brining, you want to avoid iodized salt in any form. After that, it's up to your personal preference. You just have to know the differences in measurement for the type you choose to use, i.e. 1 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt = 3/4 cup Morton kosher salt = 1/2 cup table salt. For my rubs, I like to add salt only in a finishing rub.

There is a short discussion of the different types in the All About Brining article.

What is the problem with using iodized salt?

I've read this several times and always followed the advice without knowing why.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S Petrone:
...Am I missing something? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope--you can use what you like, provided it's not iodized like Doug said (which you don't want to use if ever you make sausage either). Though I like Kosher myself, I've had occasions when I've had to use table salt. In either case, I don't make rubs with salt; I like to apply the salt first so that I know it's even and not too heavy nor too light. Then I apply the rub. When I'm rubbing something I've brined I can either apply the salt very, very lightly, or skip it. Just a suggestion, but it works for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
the article says 'off taste' ... but if for more reasons than that I'm curious too ....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The studies that I'm famliar with actually show no difference between iodized and non-iodized salts in terms of taste, texture, color retention, etc. However, some iodized salt contains stuff other than just salt and potassium iodide. It's suggested that that is what can cause off flavors. I know that in Switzerland iodized salt has been used in food processing for years without apparent issue. However, in this country, I'm not sure how 'pure' the iodized salt is--or at least whether or not you can rely on it. There have been numerous anecdotal reports of off-flavors when iodized salt is used and I'm only talking about what I've heard over the past thirty years. Perhaps Joe Ames or Jim Minion would have a better take on this.

Most salt has "non clumping" additives in it, so it doesn't clog up your shakers when it's humid out. Pickling salt is pure salt, as is kosher salt.

I avoid iodized salt in rubs, tho, for the taste reason. Just in case.

According to Alton Brown, canning or pickling salt is kosher salt ground fine. The ratio is 1 cup canning = 1 1/2 cups kosher. Around here, canning salt is about a buck cheaper.

Sorry, ain't buying it.

In brines yes, avoid iodized salt. But in rubs? Do you use iodized salt in anything else you cook? Of course. So why not in rubs?

I think that if you consider the BRITU rub recipe-- among others-- as illustrated in the article in the Cooking section of the site (which calls for non-iodized salt, BTW) you'll see that even the 1/4 batch Chris made contained 1/4 cup of salt for 3 slabs of ribs. That's like more than a tablespoon per slab. Were I to sit down at a table to eat an unseasoned slab of ribs, I don't think I'd be putting on more than a pinch if I used a salt shaker in what would be deemed a reasonable manner. At the higher quantities-- like those used in brines, sausage making, and rubs-- I think you're going to start detecting an undesirable iodine taste.

Maybe so, Doug, maybe so. I don't use anywhere near that much salt in my rubs, just doesn't seem to need it. Large quantities may be where the problem arises. If that's the case, please disregard my post above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
Large quantities may be where the problem arises. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, may be. I was thinking earlier: I have no first hand experience with iodized salt. I've never purchased it for myself, nor for any of the restaurants I've been with.

I use Iodized table salt all the time. I'd probably have an off taste if I didn't use it.
icon_smile.gif
It's never been a problem.

You want some iodized salt (or iodine of some kind) in yer diet so you aren't vulnerable to absorbing bad radioactive iodine, and to keep yer thyroid happy.

How interesting. In my feeble mind, I was considering the difference between plain salt and kosher.
Somehow you guys got on an iodine vs. non discusion. I should do a better job of framing questions.

What about kosher vs plain ?
Thanks for the input.

Kosher salt is not iodized. If both kosher and table salt are refined to remove a large percentage of impurities then I think that is the only real difference taste wise there could be. Perhaps the difference in grain size has an impact during cooking as well.

Susan,

Thats's interesting. If I don't like iodized salt, can I take a vitamin supplement which provides the "good" iodine?

-Albert

Back