Calling all Cajun Bandit Owners...Help with Temp Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I have a Cajun Bandit that I converted from a One-Touch Gold. My problem is in controlling the temp. It seems no matter how little I open the bottom vent (the ash sweeper) I cannot get the smoker to stay lower then 275-300. In fact, while doing a couple of tri-tips last week I shut down the bottom vent completely when the smoker hit 200 degrees but the temp kept climbing. When it hit 300 I also closed the top vent (I know, not suppose to do that) about 3/4s closed and the temp still stayed at 300. The cooker must be getting oxygen somewhere and I am guessing at the bottom vent. I know the ash sweeper, even when in the completely closed position is not air tight but this is too much. Are you fellow Cajun Bandit/OTG owners having similar issues? This makes me want to find an old kettle with the 3 vent openings and use it. In case someone asks, I am using the Minion Method to start my coals.

Steve not a bandit owner but I do a lot of 250ish cooks on my OTG. I would use a flashlight under the bottom vent while closed and look in the bowl from the top. The crud build up near the sweeper tips over time will cause them to raise up and away from the bowl. If your leaking that much air I wouldn't hesitate catching at 20-40 deg ahead and leaving the top at 50%.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

Mine ran hot at first, but after the first couple of cooks, it seemed to settle in. It likes to run at about 275. I do use the top vent to control the temps after it gets going - no ill effect noticed.

I did convert from a OTS bowl to a BBQ kettle (three wheel) bowl. I don't know how much difference it makes - the daisy wheels are lower than on a WSM and they tend to get clogged with ash. I use a little tool that came with my fire pit to keep the holes open. With the One Touch system, I can just sweep out the ash and re-set the vent openings.

Catching the temps on the way up definitely is the way to go.

I most recently cooked 8 butts on my CB and the temps ran at a steady 275 the whole time.

Just keep on cookin and don't be afraid to use that top vent. I don't think it creates nasty stuff as long as there still is air flow and the doesn't start to smolder.

Pat

Steve, I'm don't own the CB either but after you diagnose your leak, try some of THIS on one or two of your vent slots. I used some on a large Rib cook I did last month and was able to keep my temps at 275*.

I remember having that problem the first cook and was very concerned. It didn't happen again and I totally forgot about it until I read this. I think it will be ok in time.

I use a weed burner to fire off the briqs, I have a feeling you might be using too much hot coals to start your fire.

What is your waterpan setup? Wet ot dry?

Try firing it off with the vents closed. Blast the briqs until the edges ash over. Add your smoke wood and assemble the cooker. Open the door and keep an eye on the temp, add your meats when it hits 200-225* and shut the door.
The temps should drop, but don't freak out it'll recover. It doesn't take much adjustment of the One-Touch to bring the temps up to 275-300*.

The way I look at it the CB acts like a drum smoker in a way, opening the lid lets a lot of oxygen in, causing temps to spike, but it takes longer to recover. I'm OK cooking at 275-300* with mine. Personally, I would just Guru or Stoker it if you can't get the low temps you desire. Its on my list of things to do to both of mine.

Thanks for the input and the great ideas guys. I will be cooking on it this weekend so I will let you know how things turn out.

Hey Steve! I have had my CB for a while now and it has always run hot for me so don't feel bad. This happens for a couple of reasons; as you mentioned the setup is not airtight. Also, the shiny surfaces of your new CB will reflect tons of heat so until you get a nice coat of Mojo on there it will continue to run hot. Also, all of the minion method instructions on here say to light way more coals than you need to start... Which makes it harder to catch temps.

My normal procedure is to fill the charcoal bowl with however much unlit and chips/chunks you need (depending on the length of your cook), light maybe 8-10 coals tops, then put them on top of the unlit once they have ashed over. Next top with a chunk or two or some soaked chips to start the smoke then assemble your unit with all vents wide open. While some people will tell you differently I add my meat now because significant smoke penetration occurs in the mid-100's, plus this way you won't had to recover temps after you add your meat to a hot smoker. Next, keep a close eye on your smoker and once the temp reaches 125-150 CLOSE the bottom vents completely!! Now watch as your CB will continue to climb in temp then hopefully stable off at 225-250. Perfect!!

One night I tried to do two pork butts for an overnight cook and did the method I said above but closed the bottom vents at 185 figuring that would be plenty of wiggle room for it to finish climbing in temp. It slowly but surely crept all the way up to 290 and didnt come down for a long time...

Let me know how it goes!!

Steve - checkin in to see how your CB temps are running?

I used mine a lot over the holidays to do SRR, turkey breasts (clay saucer in the water pan) and bone-in chicken breasts (no water pan). With the clay saucer and all three vents on the bottom open I was holding steady at about 325. With a chimney of lit lump and no water pan, it held nice and steady at about 375 for the chicken breasts.

Hoping you're holding steady....

Pat

Diagnose:

1) Get some coals good and hot in the kettle with Cajun Bandit in place

2) add two handfuls of very soaked chips on top of the coals

3) give a minute or two to let these start to smoke. the idea is that they start smoking a lot

4) close it up and close all vents except for the top vent

5) Use a hair dryer to blow air ( cool setting if available) down through the top vent

6) The air pressure from the hair dryer will positively pressurize the kettle/CB which should be billowing smoke. The smoke will leak out of wherever there is a leak, which is the place that is leaking oxygen INTO the kettle/CB when it is negatively pressurized by heat in normal use.

7) Address the leaks where they are found

8) add steaks to the grill. (why waste the hot coals?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Steve - checkin in to see how your CB temps are running?
Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Pat if memory serves I have not used the CB since this post. I have been using my BDS a lot lately. I plan on firing up the CB soon and taking the great advice given here I hope to keep my temps down. I will post on my success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back