California > Culver City: Maple Block Meat Co

Just around the corner from Tito's Tacos, a LA cult taco joint...but I'm not sure why. I never warmed up to the tacos and I've tried them several times. I'll have to check Maple Block out. I'm headed past there early next week.

So, last week, the wife and I had lunch at Maple Block. I had the chopped brisket sandwich and she had a plate with pork ribs, brisket, and sausage. I just wasn't up to eating all that much that day. They had an outdoor makeshift patio, converted from their parking lot, that we decided to sit at, since it was a nice day and they allowed/invited our dog to come out on, when they saw him in the Jeep. The staff was friendly and prompt. We were there in the early afternoon, probably just after the lunch rush, so it was low key and not many patrons. My chopped brisket sandwich had a great flavor and a nice tangy sweet sauce. The bbq pinto beans that came with my order were flavorful and I enjoyed them. My wife's ribs were nicely done, served dry, with the sauce on the side. They had more of a competition bite than she prefers, but had nice smoke (I tried a bite). The sausage had a good kick of spices and smoke. She was asked "fatty or lean" for the brisket. She said "fatty". Her slice was across the point and flat at probably about 3/8" point and 1 3/4" of flat. It had a great smoke ring and flavor, but as you may have guessed, it was a bit dry. The slice was pretty big and maybe 5/8" thick. The only side of her's that I recall was the mac n cheese. It was a bit too thin and creamy, like Velveeta and milk. , but it had some nice garnish of toasted breadcrumbs that was particularly tasty. Although they didn't knock my sox off, I'd definitely go back to try some other things and try some things again. BBQ can be variable, even at good places.(y)

Back