Calibrating a Guru competitor

RobM (YankeeRob)

TVWBB Super Fan
I was in Lake Placid last weekend competing in the I Love BBQ Championships (managed to get 9th overall) The stoker ran my main pit and I did ribs on the WSM with a Guru competitor.

The Guru told me the pit was running at 225 but I thought it was running hot so a placed a thermo along side the Guru pit thermo and it was at 250. Hmmm! I grabbed another thermo and sure enough it reads 250.

So now the question: How do you calibrate a Guru Competitor? The Stoker is easy enough with the offset value but there is no such thing on a guru.

I suppose I could always remind myself that 225 = 250 but that's not ideal.

-rob

From - BBQ Guru forums

Posted by lowNslow on November 11, 2007 at 15:09:41:

Figured out how to calibrate the competitor, both meat and pit probes to a level that would make Nasa happy. 1) place meat and pit probe in boiling water(not touching pot) 2) turn meat knob full clockwise which is 212f. 3) place pit knob at 212 and note the temp reads 200. 4)remove sticker from back of unit and use small flat head screw driver to adjust "meat" probe reading. if the meat temp reads high +5 or flashing +5 turn screw clockwise until it reads 0..obviously if it reads low turn screw counterclockwise. Once your meat probe is calibrated, now move over to the pit probe. Some will tell you to put knob at 200 and if it reads 200 your done(wrong wrong!) Set the knob to 212 and take note of temp, which should read 200. Next, take note of green fan light. Is the light on or off, does the light come on once every few seconds or does it stay on. If the light comes on at all, the unit thinks the temp is below 212 which is why the fan light comes on(air to the fire). So we need to turn the knob clockwise until the light doesn't come on. Keep adjusting the knob in this fasion until the light only comes on just a hair above the current position. For example: the knob might be indicating 225 at this perfect position..but the probe is sensing the boiling 212 water. Now we need to get our 1.5 mm hex wrench and loosen the knob so that we can set it at 212 indicated..tighten the hex bolt at the perfect position and the knob know indicates 212. Now and only now do you have a properly calibrated competitor..WOW!!! that was puzzle I don't ever want to see again. Time to DRINK. Cheers

Set the knob to 212 and take note of temp, which should read 200.

Russell,

Thanks for the great response. I do have a couple of questions.

Why would it read 200 when the probe is in boiling water. Should it not read 212? Or are you assuming is not calibrated which of course, mine isn't.

Does the fan need to be plugged in for the light to come on? That is, is it sensing current sent to the fan in which case the fan would need to be plugged in.

Thanks for the great info.

-rob

Back