Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring question

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I'll have some semi-disposable income coming in early March and am thinking of getting the Cajun Bandit 18.5 roti setup for my Jumbo Joe and WSM. But I was also looking at their "Stacker" expansion ring that converts the JJ into a smoker. Either one would set me back ~$150, so it's tough to justify both. However, I'm wondering if the roti ring could be adapted for similar purposes as the expansion ring. In other words, would it be feasible to install supports for a heat diffuser and food grate? I know the Stacker is 10" tall, while the rotisserie is only 6" tall so headroom would be tight. Actually, using a stepped support bracket (like the lower end of the WSM's) would allow for the diffuser and food grate to share one set of supports. I'd only be using it this way when camping with a small group, so one rack would be plenty. It would be nice to have the option of either rotisserie or smoker with only one extra piece of gear in tow.

You have to decide what you will do the most: rotisserie or smoke. If you want to smoke with the JJ, you'll probably need the height of the stacker.
The JJ has a shallow pan and I'd be concerned that the fire would be very close to the grill if you used the rotisserie ring for smoking. Actually - even for rotisserie cooking.
You could modify the stacker to accept the rotisserie, however... it's made of stainless steel & that's some tough stuff. Also, if you wanted it to work with the WSM & JJ - you would need to modify both ends of the stacker which might make it flow a lot more air & not be so good for Low & Slow. Then again... you might be able to make something that would close up the slots & all would be well.

Let us know what you do!

Right now, if I smoke, I usually use the WSM. I don't rotisserie at all, and honestly never have, but at least a couple times a month, the wife picks up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I'll admit they're tasty, but the price keeps creeping up (I think they're $7 each now) and pretty scrawny (the drumsticks aren't much bigger than wing drumettes). That's not to mention the salt content.

If I could rotisserie at home, it'd save us some money and give more control over the ingredients used. Honestly, I don't see myself doing much smoking in the JJ while traveling, and if we did start camping more, I'd probably just spend $50 more and get a 14.5" WSM for that. Given that the rotisserie can be used on the JJ and my WSM, that seems like the way to go.

Rotisserie, just like smoking, is just another way to cook food using charcoal. I think after getting a rotisserie you will find yourself thinking of more and more ways to use it. At least that has been the case for me. I got a WSM and started thinking of different meats to cook on it and then different ways to use that meat after smoking it. Then I got a rotisserie and am now in the process of discovering different meats to do on the rotisserie. To complicate things, my wife just got a pressure cooker for the first time in our lives, so we're going to be learning how to use that now too! I just don't know if I'll be able to hold up to all this stress of eating food made in new ways to us! Sympathy anyone????

Last edited:

Back