Cable Coaxial Connector for Probe Eyelets

Bruce McLeod

TVWBB Member
To do a truly DIY eyelet job for the ET 7 Probes, similar to JLRodriguez' install, I was considering using some threaded tubing (meant for repairing lamps) for remote probe cable "Eyelets".
Unfortunately, most of the stuff I have on hand is "rustable".
RustedThreadedLampConduitweb.jpg

As luck would have it, there were a couple of extra brass co-axial cable connectors available in the "electrical odds'n'ends box" .
So they're going to have a new life as "eyelets/grommets/pass-throughs" for ET 7 probe cables.
CableConnectorweb.jpg

First I drilled out the nylon and metal from inside the connector, using a 15/64" bit.
ConnectorDrilled-outweb.jpg

Used the bench grinder to remove all of one end, until it was flush with the "fixed hexnut" part of the connector.
Connector-GindingDoneweb.jpg

Then I ground off and chamfered the other end so the "eyelet" threads would be just long enough to go through the wall of the WSM and be able to be secured on the inside with a nut.
Eyelet-ReadyToGoweb.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll drill two 3/8" holes through the WSM, paint the scars with high heat black, screw in the eyelets and that'll be it.

Last edited:
Very creative! I had a couple of these lying around on my desk for about a week recently. I would never have thought of using them this way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I'll have to take some pics of my redneck eyelets that I made from brass truck tire valve stems! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Alright!
Whatever works - great to see yet another creative approach to solving this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
maybe leave a few threads on the outside so you can screw on a cap if needed ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I did with my "lamp cord" grommets, George. Very simple and a nice finish to the whole project -- and keeps hornets out! Rich

Nice idea Bruce.
But I'm a little confused. You drilled out the coax with a 15/16" bit? then your going to drill a 3/8" hole through the WSM?
Those numbers don't jive at all.

Edit.. I'm thinking that was a typo? You meant 5/16" instead of 15/16"?

Tim

i used those for the eyelets on my char griller. works great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I'll have to take some pics of my redneck eyelets that I made from brass truck tire valve stems! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Nice idea Bruce.
But I'm a little confused. You drilled out the coax with a 15/16" bit? then your going to drill a 3/8" hole through the WSM?
Those numbers don't jive at all.

Edit.. I'm thinking that was a typo? You meant 5/16" instead of 15/16"?

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhh.........Oh yeah!
Thanks Tim for catching that typo!
Actually, the bit I used was 15/64".

Back