Cabela's Pellets From Bass Pro Shops

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
First cook with Cabela's pellets and the 14 in. Stainless upper cooking grate on the EX4. I decided to cook a chicken because, even at 400° F, the skin picks up the smoke well. I don't get complicated in choosing pellets. If it tastes good, burns good, and doesn't give me feed problems then it works for me. Don't ask me about ash production or anything else that complicates my simple tests, if I like the pellets, I'll clean up the ash and deal with the peripheral stuff.

The pellets burn and feed well. I started with 14 bs. of a 50/50 blend of Cabela's Competition blend and Cherry. I started the fire at 3:05 PM to burn off the grate, meat went on at 5, and I just kept the fire running to evaluate pellet flow. After 3 hours running, the low fuel alarm sounded. Two hours later and it's still holding temp. I think I will switch to using Cabela's and, definitely, keep the upper grate.

The chicken cooked for 65 minutes at about 410. Because the back of my grills is a little hotter than the front, I orient my birds with the breast to the front of the grate. My set temp was 375 so I paid close attention to the meat temp and pulled it off as soon as it was done. It was moist and delicious. The skin was rubbery but I could really taste the smoke on it. The B&B has Pecan where the Cabela's has Hickory and I noticed a slight increase in smoke flavor intensity.
The picture is for those who wonder how it handles rain. The Florida thunderstorm started 10 minutes after I put the Chicken on and it sat over our house for the entire cook. There's about 3 inches of water at the bottom of my driveway

EDIT: I just checked the pellets and I could see the auger and a few stray pellets in the hopper. I never stirred the pellets so I know they feed well.Shut down the grill. I started with about 14 lbs. of pellets and ran 5.5 hours. That's 2.5 lbs./hr. on the EX4 at 375° F.
9-14-22 5 lb. Spatchcock Chicken.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked the pellets and I could see the auger and a few stray pellets in the hopper. I never stirred the pellets so I know they feed well. Shut down the grill. I started with about 14 lbs. of pellets and ran 5.5 hours. That's 2.5 lbs./hr. on the EX4 at 375° F. OAT 77° F. At that temp, my EX6 burns approximately 3 lbs./hr..

I just checked the pellets and I could see the auger and a few stray pellets in the hopper. I never stirred the pellets so I know they feed well. Shut down the grill. I started with about 14 lbs. of pellets and ran 5.5 hours. That's 2.5 lbs./hr. on the EX4 at 375° F. OAT 77° F. At that temp, my EX6 burns approximately 3 lbs./hr..
Thank you Lew

Lew I have a buddy that goes to Bass Pro often, are all Cabellas pellets the same diameter? I may ask him to grab a couple bags.
Thanks.

Very interesting, Lew, and LOVE that stainless upper grate!

What I have read is that Cabela pellets are made by Lumberjack, so they should certainly be good. I lost my easy source for Lumberjack when Rural King switched to their house brand which doesn't get good reviews.

There is a Cabela's near Indianapolis (1 hour away), so maybe when I need some pellets, I will try to work that in on a trip we make that direction.

Well Lew was 100% right. The Cabela’s pellets seem to be an exact match from Webers pellets.
Went for a drive and picked up competion, cherry, apple and something called Bourbon brown sugar.
$9.99 a bag.

Bass Pro Shop was nice!!IMG_6613.jpegIMG_6614.jpegIMG_6608.jpeg

This Camp Chef had a lot of great things going on but the grates didn’t do it for me.

Last edited:
Well Lew was 100% right. The Cabellas pellets seem to be an exact match from Webers pellets.
Went for a drive and picked up competion, cherry, apple and something called burning brown sugar.
$9.99 a bag.

Bass Pro Shop was nice!!View attachment 87639View attachment 87640View attachment 87641

This Camp Chef had a lot of great things going on but the grates didn’t do it for me.
Spending an afternoon at Bass Pro is very subline, I live within about an hours drive from their corporate location, never a bad or dull moment.

It does, however, seem too be one of the few other pellet grills capable of producing bark like the SmokeFire.
IDK, I get fantastic bark on my butts, and briskets on both grills. If I got anymore "bark" I'd have to put the end results in a kennel :D

Back