Bye Bye Brinkman, Hello WSM!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've finally hit the 'authorize' button on Amazon.com and my new and first WSM is on the way! This rookie has 3 questions to ask. 1. Is the BRITU a good first smoke for a conservative like myself who needs alittle cooking\smoking confidence? 2. Can any of you fine folks recommend any particular meat and\or recipe that can be enjoyed as a 'cold' snack? Reason being, the wife and I will be at Rockingham, NC this Sunday for this weeks NASCAR event, and I would love to make something on my WSM Saturday and bring along for an awesome snack. 3. What are some of your favorite wood chunk combos for ribs? Thanks in advance for any advice shared, and God Bless all of you fine folks. This discussion board\website is the reason I finally decided to go with the WSM, thanks again!

Cold Snack - Smoked Turkey.

Wood for ribs - Apple and plum are my favoriets for pork. It helps that I have an apple orchard.

At first the WSM will run hot. Use this as an advantage and do a turkey breast or small whole turkey for the first cooks. Watch the temp and keep track of time. Chicken on a throne is also good.

((The people on this board are great))

Vince --

My first smoke was "BRITU" and I was very disappointed. That being said, my wife reminded me that I hadn't followed the directions, so it was my fault. Too salty! Layed it on too thick! Recipe calls for a dusting, I covered it pretty well. Let it set too long. Recipe calls for a shorter period.

IF... you follow the directions, it might be excellent. I never went back to it. Some folks swear by cutting the salt in 1/2. I'd say to give it a try, but follow the directions!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

>>>1. Is the BRITU a good first smoke for a conservative like myself who needs alittle cooking\smoking confidence?<<<

In my experience, this was definitely the case. BRITU was the first time I got results that excited me and made me feel I could do this.
>>>2. Can any of you fine folks recommend any particular meat and\or recipe that can be enjoyed as a 'cold' snack?<<<

My wife loves to take cold pulled pork on a bun with hot mustard to work for lunch

>>>3. What are some of your favorite wood chunk combos for ribs?<<<

One packet of hickory for traditional smoke and one packet of fruitwood, usually apple or cherry.

Good luck with everything. You're going to love it!

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm starting to think that einey-meeny-miny-mo might work the best. Any suggestions of the best place to buy wood chunks on the internet might be. Also, i've ordered a book from Ron Ludtz "Whatcha need to know to BBQ like a pro", any thoughts or comments on this book. I've researched the archive dbase from this site, and have found great reviews\comments on about this book.

I order wood chunks from hawgeyes.com They charge $1.09 a pound plus reasonable shipping costs.

Incidentally, BRITU is a very good first barbecue, but, on your first cook, follow the instructions scrupulously. You can always deviate later.

I've made them many times. They're always a BIG hit with guests. The only real modification I've made to the recipe is reducing the amount of wood chunks from five to three. That's it.

Good luck. You'll love your bullet.

Vince,

First off, I did BRITU for the first time a few weeks ago and it is excellent!!. No cutting the salt in half & not salty whatsoever. So, if you do BRITU, be sure and follow the recipe exactly and you should look like this afterwards --> /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . Next here are some good wood sources.
People's Wood
Southern Style Products
800drywood.com

The first two I have not used but both come highly recommended on this site. I bought some wood from the last one a while back and was quite satisfied with what I got.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Your old Brinkman ECB can serve one final purpose: cannibalizing for parts.

The charcoal pan can be swapped in for the WSM’s water pan without modification for longer untended cooks.

The grates can be used increase the capacity with a couple dollars of long bolts, nuts, and fender washers to support them on the WSM’s grates.

Also, the handles on the ECB’s body can be used on your new bullet’s center section. You will have to drill two new holes to mount the handles but it sure make lifting the center section a lot easier and more stable.

As for cold snacking, I'd go with pulled pork tossed in a little of your favorite sauce. It's the little black dress of the food world. It goes with almost everything. It's good cold on a sandwich, can be easily be reheated without drying out, can be thrown into a pot of chili or baked beans, and is a lot more foolproof for a first cook than turkey.

Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy!

Vince,

I'll put another vote in support of BRITU. As others have mentioned, just a light coating of the rub will do. Once they come off the smoker, I just lightly glaze them with a mixture of dark BBQ sauce (Triple E Original from Illinois) and honey. They are fantastic!!!

As for a cold snack, why don't you try a chicken. It was suggested that this was a good thing to cook for the first time using the WSM. It turned out great. I also like cold chicken when taken along for an outdoor meal.

Have fun.

John M. Haslip
Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back