Buying wood online

David,
The wood you buy on E-Bay.
I was wondering if you buy the 12 week old wood
or the dried wood that he is offering?

Thanks,
Chris

I bought pecan from Nature's Own last year. Very satisfied with product and price.

I've purchased alder, apple & cherry from Cabela's. Also very good.

As I smoke more, I'm finding that less is more, and I'm probably using half the chunk count that I used to throw on (2 or 3 small ones).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Rogers:
If anyone is in the market for a lot of wood, you can use this Cabela's promotion code during checkout and get free shipping - 68FREE.

You have to buy $200 worth of wood, which would be around 160 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this could be a stupid question... would 160lbs be anywhere near a cord of wood? i think a cord for me can be had locally (still a drive) for $125ish....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmarks:
this could be a stupid question... would 160lbs be anywhere near a cord of wood? i think a cord for me can be had locally (still a drive) for $125ish.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A cord of wood is over a pickup truck load. Well you can get a cord in a pickup truck bed 4 ft X 8 ft and you have to really mound it up to get it all in.
icon_wink.gif

I recently bought some wood from ShoppersChoice.com L.L.C. I ordered 1 order each of Hickory, Pecan, Apple and Cherry. Price to the door was 76.00. It arrived in 10# boxes. Received quickly and was happy.

Now I wand oak. Any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmarks:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Rogers:
If anyone is in the market for a lot of wood, you can use this Cabela's promotion code during checkout and get free shipping - 68FREE.

You have to buy $200 worth of wood, which would be around 160 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this could be a stupid question... would 160lbs be anywhere near a cord of wood? i think a cord for me can be had locally (still a drive) for $125ish.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A cord of wood is on the order of 2000-4000 pounds. The moisture content and density of the wood really comes into play. firewood weight chart At smoke wood rates you could sell a cord of wood for a ton (or two) of money.

I've always been confused when people say "a full cord of wood" and when people say "a full face cord of wood". From what I've read and been told, a "full face cord of wood" is 4' by 8' by 18".

I have a full sized pickup, and last weekend landed a score from Craigslist. I needed campfire wood for a few trips and for around home, and filled my entire truck bed, neatly stacked, over piling on top, all good hardwood, for $50. Looked like mostly maple.

When I stacked in at home in the back yard (and I'm no pro stacker), but it's about chest high and probably 20 feet long. Looking at it now, I can't believe I got it all in one load in my truck. Luckily I only had to haul it about 2-3 miles and all 30 MPH roads.

Talking about chunked smoke wood, I got my Oak from a buddy who burns wood for winter heat. He gave me maybe 5 split logs. The size you would put in a wood stove, probably 15" long, and probably split in quarters from the log. To chunk it, I had to futher split it into eights or a little more to get it to fit on my 10" mitre saw. Then I cut it into 2-3" slices, then just wacked the middle of those with hatchet. Those made a ton of chunk wood. I probably only used 3-4 logs and filled a good sized box with chunk wood. Probable 15-20lbs, which will probably last me 2-3 years since I don't use oak all that often.

But, it got me to thinking about reading a book on how to identify hardwoods and starting a smoke wood selling business for sure. I mean geez, even if you pay full price, here in upstate new york, I'll see full face cords for Cherry wood in the local papers and on Craigslist for about $90. If 4 logs makes up a 20lbs box which sells for $25, man, there's a lot of dollars to be had. Talk about markup.

Todd

I know how you feel!
I actually found apple, maple and cherry wood at Whole Foods but I`m not sure if they`re in every state. btw- apple wood with chicken is a beautiful thing.

Back