Buying Weber gas grill Help

Mike R

I’ve been looking at Webers. Looks like I’m the perfect candidate for a used /refurbished one. I was considering buying a new 3 burner spirit but after coming here I think it makes more sense to get a used one since Im a newbie. I see a newer Weber GS4 grill spirit II for $200 in great condition, an older summit or older genesis for about the same. There are so many options and I’m not sure what to look for. For example which genesis model is the best?. I know I can replace certain things easily but others are deal breakers, so what should I inspect when buying a grill? I don’t mind putting work or time in as long as it’s in my skill set. I’ve been reading your advice but still need a little guidance. Currently leaning toward the summit in the picture-I like that it Is open cart style.

Attachments

• 573D3108-3D3A-4175-8CB3-A46EB03C4AB1.jpeg
    573D3108-3D3A-4175-8CB3-A46EB03C4AB1.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 24
You can’t go wrong with a good old genesis silver b. Parts are readily available and also available around. Earlier models are staring to dwindle in availability. Just look for one that has a good frame and replace the internals.

My advice is stay away from Summit line. While the older ones were fairly simple, VERY reliable and cooked great they're rust buckets all of them from 1st generation to present. I would also avoid any Genesis with front mounted controls. (goes for the newer Spirit line as well IMO VERY chintzy). IF you want to go older stay with an earlier sidewinder Genesis with no cabinet.

Stay way away from the Summit line. Many on this list have gone down that rabbit hole and when the finally come up, they have dirt all over their face.

Look for a Genesis Silver B or a Genesis 1000. Check the frame overall for rust, but specifically along the left side of the cook box where the mounting bolt holds the cook box to the cross member tends to rust extensively on some grills. That piece can be replaced, but there are other grills without that problem out there. Another problem is small holes in the cook box where the flavorizer bars rest. They are hard to see if the grill is dirty, but they are also not real common. Again, they can be patched with Hi Temp JB Weld in a pinch, but again, there are better options out there. Check the front edge of the cook box for excessive bowing outward. Some grills have it bad to the point that cooking grates might have problems being supported.

An over all examination of the grill for completeness and damage or wear is the last step. Don't worry about the burner tubes, flavorizer bars, igniter, or cooking grates. Those are all "consumable" items and if you rehab a grill, it is likely that you will want to replace most or all of them. All of them can be easily sourced and replaced with high quality parts for under $150. The other parts are harder to find replacements for and will likely have to be scavenged off other like grills if they are missing or trashed on your grill.

I would stay away. Look inside the cabinet. My guess is that it is already a mess. Eventually, it will be if it isn't now. If you keep it inside the garage, maybe not, but outside, cover or not, it will rust. You can take the cabinet sides, front, back and bottom off, but then you have to do something to brace the legs since the cabinet was designed to do that.

Any opinions for GrillGrates on the Genesis ll 335 ? TIA guys
Get really GOOD grates from Dave Santana aka RCPlanebuyer. Yeah cost a little more but WAY better product. Actual solid 300 series stainless rather than cheap extruded anodized aluminum. Also IMO far safer for the grill

Very controversial because of being made from aluminum. I have enjoyed mine very much. They are often used by winners of national steak competition. They do reduce flare-ups, and they do make bold sharp grill marks if you like that.
IMG_5938 (2).jpeg

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

Last edited:
Larry doesn't like GrillGrates. Jon likes them. I love them -- especially useful when flipped over to use the flat (rather than rail) side.

Here's Meathead's take.

Back