Buying split logs for smoke wood

Scott P.

TVWBB Super Fan
Our local Kroger has 100 lb bags of "firewood" available for $10. The large bags are labled Oak, Hickory or Mesquite. The bags seem to be filled with split logs about 18"-24" long.

I'm thinking about buying a bag of eacha nd using my mitre saw to cut the logs into softball sized chunks for the WSM. Does this sound like a good plan? The price is right and I like the idea of the larger hunks.

Sounds good to me, if the wood is accurately identified. Or even if it isn't, so long as it's all hardwood.

Softball size chunks are pretty big... but then, you said you wanted bigger chunks. I tend to cut them more like tennis balls, or even billiard-ball size.

I basically do this when I cut my own smoke wood. I cut the logs in into 6-8 inch lengths, and split them into 1x1x6-8 inch pieces with a hatchet. Roughly the same volume of wood, different shape.

Speaking from experience (what limited experience I have), I think it's safer to use a bandsaw if you have one rather than a mitre saw, chop saw, radial arm saw. Less chance of grab or kickback, and easier to get that last cut in.

I usually use a chainsaw to cut disks off of log, then an ax to break that into quarters (if it's large enough). I've also done it on my dad's bandsaw, which is much easier.

I agree with Phil. I believe it is safer to use a chain saw to cut the wood into 2 to 3 inch discs. I then use a hatchet that I hit with a rubber mallet to "split" the discs into the sizes I want.

Ray

I work around wood and have logs of decent size. I cut them into a manageable length. Roughly 2 foot then split if necessecary. I then cut off the ends and cut to the size I want using a mitre box. It can be dangerous, if you haven't used a miter box very much. If you have you will know what to look for like being against the back and on the seat as well.

I cut off the ends of the log before cutting because a chainsaw uses oil to lube the chain. I don't want to take a chance on smoking my meat with oil. That can be each persons opinion as it is a small amount of oil. For me I cut off the ends.

I've got a Homelite 12" bar chainsaw I picked up at a thrift store for little money. Drained the lube oil out and filled it with cooking oil, ran it (cutting brush) until it was empty, then filled again and ran once more until dry. Now I use it expressly with cooking oil for cutting smoke wood.

Got the idea from a chef I used to work with. He could do incredible ice carvings with an electric chainsaw and a couple of chisels. Always used cooking oil for the lube.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Always used cooking oil for the lube. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
jbaker,

Great idea. Thanks.

Where are you located?

Ray

Is there any reason not to use an electric powered 14 inch chainsaw available at the local ACE hardware store for cutting small logs into smoke chunks?

As far as I know, even electric chainsaws use oil to lubricate the cutting chain. So you'd still have the potential of getting a small amount of petroleum oil on the wood. jbaker said he got the idea from a chef that used an electric chainsaw for making ice carvings, so you should be able to substitute cooking oil in the same way.

Back