Buying a WSM off Craigslist- any potential concerns?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Someone in my area is selling an 18.5 WSM on CL for $200.

I already have one 18.5 WSM, but was thinking about getting a 2nd for comps.

Are there any potential concerns about buying one used? here are the things I worry about.

1) If the user used lighter fluid in his cooker, I worry that the taste is permanently attached to the cooker and will be placed on any food that I make in it. In the final episode of BBQ Pitmasters Season 1, Leigh Ann borrowed someone's big Green Egg and that person was a lighter fluid user. The judges noted a weird taste in the ribs, which Leigh Ann later learned was lighter fluid.

I suppose I can ask the person straight up if they used it, but they could possibly lie if they know why I am asking.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can someone using lighter fluid permanently ruin the unit?

2) A much smaller concern is that something is wrong with the unit. Either thermometer probe, vent, door, etc. I don't worry about this that much because the WSM is such a simple machine. I think I should be able to inspect it fairly easily on site and determine if anything is wrong.

If there is anyone out here who has purchased a WSM used before, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Thanks,

Bryan

I bought 18 and 22 on Craigslist no problem.

Lighter fluid problem- One thing u can do is remove the water pan and fully power up the smoker on max. heat. (400F-500F) for couple of hours and that
will fry anything in it. Or U can power wash it and it will be like a new unit.
Thermo probe- All factory thermometers suck...........I like to replace it with better one and I ALLWAYS use digital as well.

Hope this helps

Peter

I'd expect the ceramic BGE to absorb and hold onto flavors much more than the porcelain-coated WSM....so to me that wouldn't even be a thought. If you want to be safe, I'd do what PeterZ said and either burn it out or power wash it and start over.

Jarrod

1. You can just burn off/clean as above. I'd probably do this anyways to get a clean start.

2. Pretty easy to inspect the WSM. Just take a tape measure and check the bowl, lid, upper & lower middle section for any out of round issues. Check the 3 bottom vents and top vents to make sure they move easily.

I also agree with above that Weber's thermometer is pretty much worthless.

Bryan, spend another $99.00 and get a brand new one. That should aleviate any concerns. If you don't want to spend another $99.00, then just act like you don't know anything about a WSM and ask him "Do you just put charcoal lighter in there and fire it up?" See what he says. For your purpose I'd spend the extra and get a brand new one. Frankly I'd spend $399 and get a 22 1/2 inch WSM. You won't regret it. Good luck. I sold my 18 1/2 yesterday for $150, half of what I paid for it new about 3 years ago. It sold in one day on craigslist.com, but there was nothing wrong with it other than it is too small.

Back