Buying a new grill

Tony Lampher

TVWBB Fan
I'm in the market for a new grill and am wondering how much temperature control you get with a one touch? The other grill I am considering is a big steel keg.

I think the temp control is excellent on a One touch. I have never used any other grill so I can't compare it to anything though.

I'd worry that the bubba keg / BSK will be discontinued. Sales have not been great & different sellers have dropped it.

Tony, I agree with John, a one touch has fine temp control and a great value. If you want to spend more I would get a Big Green Egg before a Bubba Keg.

Hey Tony, I have a Performer (one touch) and a Bubba Keg Convection Grill (predecessor to the Big Steel Keg). The one touch is pretty easy to control temp, and the Bubba Keg grill is pretty easy as well. There are a few tips, if you get too hot, it will be a challenge to bring the temp back down. This is more of a problem on the Bubba Keg grill since it is so insulated. But once you learn how to control the temp control through practice, it is easy to predict how the cooker will behave.

My opinion, I think everyone needs a kettle. They are cheap if you get the one touch silver, and they are just awesome cookers. Good luck with your decision.

Tony I recommend A Weber performer if your in the market for a new grill, they run about 330.00 or so new, I've seen many performers used on places like craigslist between 50-200 used, if money is an issue.

Or check out a 22.5 inch One touch gold, around 149.00 New and you could add a Weber work table to it for around 30.00 and have a nice set up for around 180.00.

Temp control with a one touch is great! and they hold temp very well! Weber kettles are a proven design that last a long time if treated right. I have a 1965 Weber kettle that is still in great shape!

Tony, If your looking for something other than a Weber kettle and money isn't a real issue go with the big green egg. (I don't own one) the company has been around a long time and back there products well from what I hear.

Tony thinking outside the box, what you need is 2 cookers!
Buy a 22 in kettle ,silver best buy , gold easier !cook on it & learn how to use , then this spring get a 18 in WSM!

I have a WSM. I was using a gasser for my grilling needs, but have since given that away and have been using my WSM for grilling as well, but it doesn't grill like I would like it to. That's why I'm in the market for a new grill now.

I've also been thinking about picking-up a new charcoal grill to supplement my gasser.

I've been debating the merits of a Performer vs. the 26-inch Gold.

PERFORMER PLUSSES:
-I like the tabletop space
-Availability of Accessories: Rotisseree unit gives GREAT results, and cast-iron grate, among others

26-INCHER PLUSSES:
-More room for "zones" with higher and lower temperatures for full-meal cooking
-More room for indirect cooks (then again, I have my WSM for this)
-More room for entertaining / family cook-outs

Gee, that's a tough one - then again, either way is a good idea.

I would spend your money on a weber kettle, any kind. you get the most bang for your buck. I have a 70's era kettle that i got at a rummage and is always in the elements and it works as well as a new one.
Leif

Another vote for the 26 inch kettle. You can always figure out how to get work space, but you can't get more grill space without kettle diameter....

Tony the 26.75 is a nice grill, but for that price u can get 2 otg and have more room than the 26.75.

Go check out Academy Sports and Outdoor's, they have all there bbq supplies on clearance, the 26.75 was 188.00 if that's the grill u want.

Back