Buying a natural gas grill

M Andreyka

TVWBB Fan
Hi all, I just tore out my built in island and need something to use for a while. I don’t know anything about Weber gas grills and have a gas line to hook onto.

Just started scanning CL and saw this, are these any good? Are there certain ones to stay away from and is this a good price? What is it worth?

Attachments

• A9C98747-43FC-4675-B802-2637DF4FA484.png
    A9C98747-43FC-4675-B802-2637DF4FA484.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 14
The general consensus here seems to be the older the better. Look for burners on the side rather than front and an open design w/o the cabinet. Those rust inside the cabinet on the bottom. You can definitely get an operable grill for $100 +- depending on region.

The general consensus here seems to be the older the better. Look for burners on the side rather than front and an open design w/o the cabinet. Those rust inside the cabinet on the bottom. You can definitely get an operable grill for $100 +- depending on region.
You mean the control knobs on the side tables? Why? I’ve never understood why they put them there it makes the side table useless. Is it because of heat?

I have a Genesis that looks about that age and love it. Mine is the all stainless version and has sear burner and side burner though. For $400 you might as well by a new one though so I'd pass on that one easily. Also no clue of the quality of the conversion if was changed over.

They put the knobs on the side because the burners on those grills run E/W instead of N/S on the front control grills. You are right though that it eats up a lot of shelf space. However, E/W burners are considered better overall for grilling, especially with a rotisserie. Putting controls on the front and routing the gas lines to the side is too expensive and adds complication.

$400 for that grill is OK if it is completely rehabbed. If it is just someones used grill that he is selling, I would pass. Likely, you will find a lot of gunk and RUST inside the cabinet on that one.

Part of the cabinet problems are basically reginal seeing you live in Cali depending how far you are from the ocean it may not be an issue.
I have a 2009 NG E320 sidewinder (Controls on the right side) and my cabinet is like new, but rust isn't allowed in AZ. Like Bruce said some like the E/W burners some prefer the N/S. If you're looking at using a rotisserie the E/W is going to work much better.
I think you could find a better deal if you shop around. Although NG grills aren't as easy to sell as LP, so you could watch it for awhile and maybe make and offer say of $250 if it doesn't sell.

No way I would cough up $400 for that. Not even close. First I would not ever own a front control Genesis and 2 those are nowhere near the quality of the older sidewinders

No way I would cough up $400 for that. Not even close. First I would not ever own a front control Genesis and 2 those are nowhere near the quality of the older sidewinders
Yeah I was going to offer $200 and not pay more, it was made in 2014 from what he is saying. So 7 years old.

It could be 2014. They started that model in 2011. My brother in law and late sister bought one and he was away on business when it came and so she asked me if I would be kind enough to put it together and set it up. Count me as thoroughly unimpressed. The difference in quality (should I say lack of) is night and day worse compared to the old ones. Buy an old one the type Bruce and some others refurb and you will have a far better grill

It could be 2014. They started that model in 2011. My brother in law and late sister bought one and he was away on business when it came and so she asked me if I would be kind enough to put it together and set it up. Count me as thoroughly unimpressed. The difference in quality (should I say lack of) is night and day worse compared to the old ones. Buy an old one the type Bruce and some others refurb and you will have a far better grill
Any suggestions what to look for? I’m down for a project and don’t need a big grill

That is not a bad grill. Since you live in SoCal where rust isn't usually an issue, it should do well for you. I would say that $60 is good if you don't have to fix and replace a lot of stuff in it.

For just a grill it should be fine. I am not a fan of anything new from weber so I am a bad one to ask LOL

Back