Buying a larger smoker

Armen G.

Hello all, I've been considering buying a larger smoker to supplement my WSM since I often find myself cooking large amounts of meat... and I'd love to try out a larger chamber smoker and see how the cooking style differs. I was wondering if anyone here owns a larger smoker and if there are brands/models you would recommend. I've been eyeing the Horizon Classic Smoker (http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/prodpages/2.html) but would love to hear what you folks in these forums have to recommend. Thanks in advance!!!

I have a Klose mobile unit 35 sq ft of grate space, Ole Hickory with 75 sq ft of grates and a Traeger with 80 sq ft of grate space. Over kill for most unless you have a reason to have it.

The Ole Hickory produces great product, would recommend it to anyone doing production cooking.

For your use I would look at Stumps, Spicewines and Backwoods for ease of use and additional grate space.

Jim

I have a bar-B-Chef offset from BBQ Galore that I haven't used since I got my first WSM. I have 2 and will have a 3rd (or a Pro Q) before long. To bad your not in N. Virginia - I'd make ya a deal! Not that it's a bad smoker, it's just not as good as the WSM.

Thanks for the recommendations Jim! I notice that these smokers are not in the traditional design of the rounded, chamber smokers I see by Horizon. Is there a functional difference between the two types of smokers (the more modern style vs the old-school style made by Horizon)? Also, do the styles made by Backwoods or Stumps install outside or do I have to install them indoors and provide ventilation? As you can see, I'm fairly new to the whole higher-end smoking process so any links to sites or other resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

When the weather warms up, you might go to a BBQ contest and look at the different rigs - ask questions see what you can find out.

I’ve got to ask the question why not just buy another 2 or 3 WSMs? You don’t really describe how much extra space you need.

Back