Butts in LA?

Mark K.

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to get pork butts in the LA area (I live near LAX)? The regular markets only seem to have carved up 3 pound sections.

Whole Foods only has some boneless ones for a very steep price.

I hear that Costco has them, but I don't have a membership.

Are there any local butcher shops in Westchester, MB or HB? If not, ask the regular market if they can order a whole one for you. You also might want to look into getting a Costco membership. The one near me sells them two per pack with each butt averaging around 8 or so pounds.

Markets usually get them whole but them cut them. Ask for butts that are still in the cases, not yet cut for counter sale.

You might try a search on yelp.com for butchers in that area. I usually go to a Stater Bros. on Spring in Long Beach. They have a full service butcher shop there. Sometimes I go to the Beef Palace in Huntington Beach. The Beef Palace can be a bit pricey but it has the best meat selection I have ever seen, plus every time I have gone there they had The Sons of the Pioneers playing.

Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
You might try a search on yelp.com for butchers in that area. I usually go to a Stater Bros. on Spring in Long Beach. They have a full service butcher shop there. Sometimes I go to the Beef Palace in Huntington Beach. The Beef Palace can be a bit pricey but it has the best meat selection I have ever seen, plus every time I have gone there they had The Sons of the Pioneers playing.

The Beef Palace rocks!!

From what I've seen lately, Smart & Final and Costco have the boneless butts for about $2.39 a pound. Beef Palace would definitely have it or be able to get it, but I'm guessing it would cost at least this much.

I would recommend asking the meat counter at one of the many ethnic supermarkets in the area. 99 Ranch Market has them this week for $1.39 a pound (either bone-in or boneless), but again you have to ask (and hopefully find someone who speaks English). As you have noticed, at the display counter they only have the 3-4 pound sections.

I recommend finding the bone-in version (it is just a lot easier to work with).

If you don't mind paying a bit more you can pretty much get what you want at Bristol Farms on Rosecrans (I work by LAX). That's where I usually go for smokes that are planned in advance. Briskett there is tops as well.

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
I buy bone in pork butts at Restaurant Depot in Van Nuys. I also get Certified Angus Beef briskets there.

Bill

I'd be all over this, but looks like you need to have a business license or represent a non-profit to qualify for membership.

Yeah, it is for business only, I used my production company corporation for membership. But I know a lot of barbecue teams shop there. Perhaps you could find out what the requirements are and set up a DBA to get a membership.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
Yeah, it is for business only, I used my production company corporation for membership. But I know a lot of barbecue teams shop there. Perhaps you could find out what the requirements are and set up a DBA to get a membership.

Bill

Good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Back