Butts for Tuesday

Shawn Woerlein

TVWBB Member
Well, had a vacation day scheduled for Tuesday to go ice fishing with the guys. I leave work today and the phone rings: "We're not going. Too cold / windy".
icon_mad.gif
Well, what better to do with the day off than to smoke
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bought 2 butts this evening, both in the 5 lb range. Salted lightly and let sit to bring out some moisture, then mixed up my rub w/o salt and rubbed down good. My blend of rub was:

4 T Sugar
4 T Brown sugar
4 T Chili powder
4 T Black pepper
2 T Ground Red Pepper
1/2 C Paprika
2 T Garlic Powder
2 T Onion Powder

I will used the following finishing sauce on this pork, one of my favorite recipes:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Rubbed and wrapped tightly, placed in fridge. Tomrrow is going to be a cold one guys. They are talking 4 F tonight, and a high of 16 F tomorrow. Wind chills near -9 F, winds 9-13MPH. Fortunately I'll have most of the wind blocked with the house. Just have to pack the coals in tight for maximum fuel.

Gonna start the day off right though with a home creation from Burger King
icon_cool.gif
Start off with the bun and egg on the Meatnormous Omlette, add bacon....then add the pepperjack cheese, jalapenos and sauce from the Angry Whopper. Dip in ranch dressing and enjoy! What a hell of a way to start off the cooking day!

My guys bailed on fishing the other day also. You know its cold when it is too cold for ice fishing.

Yeah, that is pretty bad. There's always Saturday when it is supposed to hit freezing for the first time in weeks. LOL.

0650 hrs.....butts out of fridge.
0725 hrs....water on to boil for the water pan ( 5 F outside). Going to load up the charcoal and get a starter going.
0810 hrs....butts should be in smoker.

Cold day?
icon_biggrin.gif
You bet. Smoker holding at 250 most of the day. Was at 225 until the sun hit it. Then shot up. But held at 250. 1 spike to 263, but fine other than that.

Meat temp holding pretty steady at 165 for the last hr or so. Waiting for that break point.

Next update when done!

Since I have to work early tomorrow, I decided to pull the butts and wrap them at 165. They held at 165 for almost 2 hrs without a temp rise. Once I wrapped they started rising after about 20 mins. Went up to 190 F which was around 1900 hrs. Rested for 1 hr and pulled. Great smoke ring, very tender a moist. Had to sacrifice the chewy bark by wrapping it, but still VERY good.

Anyways, no pics this time. LOL. But as usual....I had a house full of people when these were done.

Back