Buttette Meets Smokey Joe...

D. L. Whitehead

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy all,

The suffix -ette means diminutive or small. Yesterday, I smoked a small pork butt on a small Weber Smokey Joe grill.

Buttette_01.jpg

Buttette_02.jpg

Set-Up_01.jpg

Drip-Water_Pan_Temp_Probe_01.jpg

Buttette_On_02.jpg

Pulled_01.jpg

Pulled_02.jpg

Best pulled pork I have ever eaten.

###

Now that's awesome! I love it...PP on a Smokey Joe....excellent job. This made me smile first thing in the morning.

My first butt was a smaller one and it turned out great. And cooked in a short amount of time (6-8 hrs, I forget). Like Don Irish says, the bark/meat ratio tends to be pretty good too.

Good job.

You should post those pics in the Weber Portable Grills section of the forum. Things can get a little slow down there, but those of us with Smokey Joes - and a lot of us have several because we can pick them up for next to nothing - enjoy seeing all the different mods and trying some with our SJ's.

Speaking of buttettes, I stopped by the Piggly Wiggly after work today to pick up some butts to smoke this weekend for an office luncheon I'm doing on Tuesday. The Pig had a bunch of butts that were around 3.5 lbs. I kinda like to smoke 5 - 6 lb butts so they generally are done in about 7.5 to 9 hours and I had to get the market guy to go to the back to find me three 5 lb butts. These little fellers must've come off of some kind of dwarf hawg!

Pat

Since the somkey joe seams to work good as a smoker for little butts etc.

I'm wondering why one couldn't do a similar cook on the WSM just using the bottom charcoal Bowl and the lid. If you have a small Butt etc.
Probably use a lot less charcoal.

Reason this kinda came to me is a week or so ago, after cooking some thing I had about an 1/8 bowl for of leftover charcoal and lit it by putting crumpeled new spaper under the charcoal grate of the WSM. It lit fine and I was try to cook ckicken legs on the lower cooking grate and the heat started to fizzle out, then I put the cooking grate ckicken and all on the charcoal bowl using it as a grill, with the lid on.

I know i was grilling the chicken, but it came out fine.

I believe the the charcoal bowl of the wSM is probably as big as a smokey joe.

Just thought for "Small" roasts of Butts maybe on could use it and conserve on the charcoal use, not heating up the entire midsection as well as the empty water pan etc.

Just a thought.

The reason this came to mind

Back