Buttermilk brine for chicken

Here is the flavor brine I did this week.

I liked some aspects of it. Ancho flavor was not there, so I will increase that. Also I used whole black peppercorns, I should have cracked them to increase the release of flavor.

I used below on 2 1/2 chickens.

In 8 oz of water I whisked the below ingredients.

3 Tbl + 1 tsp Kosher salt (morton)
2 Tbl Turbo Sugar
2 Tbl Garlic (I only had granulated)
2 Tbl Onion (I only had granulated)
2 Tbl Ancho powder
2 Tbl Black pappercorns, whole (will use cracked next time)
1 tsp white pepper

After whisking together, I then added to 1 quart of buttermilk and whisked that in. Added the chicken, put a small plate on top. Could use a little more brine, but the plate kept it submerged in a small cambro 8 quart container.

My herb garden is coming along nicely, so I will add some fresh herbs in the next week or so and try again.

Try forgoing the water.

Put your ingredients into a blender and blend well. Definitely do this if using fresh aromatics (onion, garlic or lemon zest - use zest only, no juice) or fresh herbs - but I do it even if using dried stuff.

Thanks Kevin, I will give that a try. Just realized my blender broke awhile back, and with a food prep, food processor, and a emersion blender, I have never replaced it. Guess it's time to finally replace it.

Use a cup or so of your buttermilk and your immersion blender. Blend, stir into the rest of the buttermilk; done.

We have a large cook coming up this weekend so I thought it would be a good time to try out the rubbed buttermilk brine on some people.

New recipe:

1 gallon buttermilk

12 Tbl kosher, morton
9 Tbl Turbo
9 Tbl Gran garlic
9 Tbl Gran onion
9 Tbl Ancho
9 Tbl B pepper
4 tsp W pepper

I used granulated garlic/onion but I would prefer powder, I just was out.

Spices & Milk

IMAG0591.jpg

After a few minutes w/ the immersion blender (Worked great, Thank you Kevin!)

IMAG0593.jpg

~15 lbs of leg quarters, split almost evenly between the containers

IMAG0594.jpg

The immersion blender worked really well with the cold milk. Much better than my whisking efforts in the past. I used whole peppercorns again and with the blender broke most of them up nicely.

These went in at 9 PM tonight and will cook sometime Saturday afternoon. Because we are doing an event I will not be able to air dry for 1/2 day like I have been, but I brought the jaccard to poke the skin before going on the smoker. This has worked well for me in the past.

Thanks for updating. Although I'm a big fan of buttermilk brines, this step of blending is not one I've done.

Going to switch up after seeing this.

Back