Butt Prep Question

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
So I'm still working on the details for my Labor Day Weekend Smoking activities. Originally I was wanting to cook for a crowd, but that didn't work out. So I decided that since the only reason I wanted to cook for a crowd was to have an excuse to do pulled pork AND spare ribs, I'd still do pulled pork and spare ribs but plan on freezing a good bit of the pork for later meals. Then came the predictions for rain on Monday, the full day of activities on Sunday, and previous engagements and appointments on Saturday. This all leads me with some decisions to make about actually doing the cooking.

Right now I'm contemplating doing two separate cooks. Since I have an appointment in the morning and plans in the evening, I'd do an overnight smoke on the shoulder(s) tonight, pull it off the WSM before my appointment, wrap and hold them in a cooler until I get back. At which point I'd fire the WSM back up, start the ribs, and pull the shoulder(s) for lunch & freezing. The other alternative is to just do the ribs on Monday since they would be better freshly as opposed to reheated.

With that as a little context, I have a few questions about prepping the shoulder.

1. Is it critical to rub the butt well before putting it on the WSM, as opposed to while waiting for the WSM to come up to temp?
2. How long before loading the WSM should I apply the rub?

Brian,

Maybe I'm a bit confused, but questions 1 & 2 are basically the same?

I wouldn't say it's critical to rub well before hand, but that's fairly standard practice. Well, from what I've read & done that is. Gives the rub a chance to work it's magic and 'soak into' the meat. I typically do this the night before up to a handful of hours before the actual cook. If I'm trying a new rub and really want to taste it --- I'll apply a second layer of rub as it goes onto the WSM. Not that it's the right or wrong way, just what I've done a few times.

I just add my seasonings to the butt about the time I light the chimney for the Minion method. The butt will be in the WSM for many hours - I think that's plenty of time for the "enhancements" to work their magic....

But like Chad says, "Not that it's the right or wrong way, just what I've done a few times." In the long run it's whatever you prefer!

Maybe I'm a bit confused, but questions 1 & 2 are basically the same?

You're right they are basically the same. It coulda been worse, I coulda asked the same question a third way!

I've done a few butt smokes this year, and I've usually let the rubbed meat sit in the fridge for 8 hours or more-of course that was when I was getting up a 3 or 4 am to put the but on the smoker. Usually with ribs & chicken I'll just prep them either before or immediately after lighting my coals. But those aren't as massive hunks of meat.

Anyway I'm trying to decide if I should not try to do an over night butt tonight because I don't have 8-12 hours to "let the magic happen" before hand. I'll check back here again when I get home from work and make the call then. Thanks for all your input!

Brian.
Ive done alot of 4am butt cooks and I always add the rub as the chimney is being lit.
Chimney gets dumped, meat goes on.

Tim

i try to rub about 6-8 hours prior to the cook... my brother in law is a trained chef (and smoker enthusiast) and he rubs as the charcoal warms up... we both put out pretty dang good q. so i'd say, whatever fits into your schedule for the day you're cooking is going to be fine.

i try to rub about 6-8 hours prior to the cook... my brother in law is a trained chef (and smoker enthusiast) and he rubs as the charcoal warms up... we both put out pretty dang good q. so i'd say, whatever fits into your schedule for the day you're cooking is going to be fine.

That is pretty reassuring Briant, both that a trained chef rubs as the coals are warming and that both of you turn out good q despite the different prep times.

I ended up not doing the overnight smoke on Friday night, there was an unexpected visit to the pediatrician which delayed the buying the butts and threw a wrench in my timing and energy level that evening. Not a big deal, but the kitchen was a mess and I just didn't feel like making dinner cleaning the kitchen and getting the WSM all ready to go. So I'll just have to cook everything on Monday! And since I have the extra time, I'll probably apply the rub about 8-10 hours before it goes on.

For the record the pediatrician visit wasn't too bad. My little girl has a spot of irritated skin that is like nothing we've seen before so we went to the doc' for a little piece of mind. Doc said it doesn't look serious, probably a reaction to a spider bite or something. Gotta put some cream on it and it should be fine.

Back