Butt No Rub

Dupree

TVWBB Fan
My last Butts were kinda salty. and I am thinking that of my next 2 one will be "naked" your feedback appreciated.

I like the method that Kevin Kruger recommends. A much better solution than no rub is to make your own rub, with no salt in the rub. Apply salt separately. That way you have strict control over how much salt you apply. When your salt is in the rub, you have only a guess as to how much salt you are applying. I'm also watching my salt intake so this is critical for me to do it this way.

Step one, apply salt all over the surface as much or as little as you want. Kosher salt works best for this. Wait 20 minutes until the salt draws moisture out to the surface, which will make your rub adhere nicely. This is just the right amount of time to light your chimney, get the cooker ready, and put the rub together.

Step two, put your no-salt rub together. Toast and grind any whole peppers, seeds or whole spices for best effect. If you don't have a spice or coffee grinder, powdered spices will work fine so long as they are fresh and good quality. Don't use 3-year old supermarket spices if you want a good rub.

Step three, apply your rub as much as you want. One dusting is enough, but you can apply a second coating after a few minutes if you wish.

Step four, take your rubbed meat out to the cooker, light with minion method, assemble cooker, and you are good to go.

You could modify step 1 by substituting yellow mustard instead of the salt thereby reducing the salt to zero. I use yellow mustard on ribs to help the rub stick to the meat right before I cook them. Adds 0 mustard taste to the end product.

I agree with the above 2 posts, store-bought rub is far too salty for my tastes. I have only used my own for at least the past 3 years. I like the mustard approach, low salt home made rub.

I am a fan of "naked" pork. wait... that doesn't sound right...

anyway...

Since I got my OTS(I know, not a smoker, but I've gotten fairly close on several occasions) this summer, I've been cooking most meats without anything added except smoke. For pork, I really like apricot wood.

No COmmercial rubs here 5 butts so far all Mr. Brown. Not enhanced either.

My thinking is that when one roasts a pig it is "Naked" if you will and the pork stands on it's own so...........

Anyway for my next two I think I will do 1 with the mustard rub method listed here and another naked.

Thanks for the feedback!! I will let you know how my Labor day turns out.

Back