Butt in oven - foil?

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
After 14 hours my 7lb Boston butt is in the 163 degree platau and my WSM finally ran out of charcoal. The long time is my fault, I let it run 220-210 overnight instead of 225-250 where it may have finished in time for lunch.

I moved the butt to a 275 oven to finish. Should I tent it in foil? Wrap it in foil? Or just leave it on a pan in the oven?

I agree. Wrap it up so you can collect the drippings to use in homemade sauces or to add back to the pulled pork for more moisture.

I always smoke to 165*, then finish foiled with 1/4 cup apple juice or white wine in a 350* oven. Using my Weber remote probe/therm in the oven as well...when it hits 190*, I turn the oven off...letting the Butt rest in the ovens' residual heat
icon_wink.gif
..no need to transfer to a cooler etc..
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Rondo - Do you wrap it tight in foil, or put it in a pan and cover the pan with foil?

I covered the pan, but I didn't add any liquid. When the butt hit 195 I shut off the oven until I was ready to pull it 1 1/2 hours later. Some parts were dry, but I had plenty of good meat and bark to feed my family.

Next time I'll add some apple juice, and I'll run the smoker at a higher temp to try and avoid using an oven. My WSM spent a lot of time between 210-225 vent temp. Next time i'm going to shoot for 225-250.

Back