Butt help

Nick P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I've got 5 butts for tomorrows big game. I think I have it figured out but want to double check with you folks. 2 butts on bottom rack laid flat. 3 butts on top rack in a teepee method. I'm looking to wrap the butts and store in cooler around 6:00 PM Sunday night. I think I should put butts on WSM at 12:00 tonight (Sat). That should give me plenty of time to cook. The butts are approximatley 7.75 lbs. each with bone in. Does this look like a game plan??

Sounds like a plan to me. If I was doing it, personally, I would put them on at 10 pm. you've got about 40lbs of meat going in there and it's going to take some time to come up to temp, then by the time it's stable it will be around midnight or so instead of 1 or 2am.

What time are you planning on serving?

I would start them at 9 or 10 too. As Bruce said, it might take a while to stabilize your cooker; starting earlier allows for that and allows you to get some decent sleep. Well-wrapped, they'll hold a good temp during their rest for quite a while which lets you do any late-afternoon running around or side prep before you pull and eat.

I'm planning on serving at 1/2 time....around 8:00. I'm going to put them on at 6:00 instead and use the ramp mode on the guru. I have a party to be at tonight and I have to leave at 7:00 and won't be home until 11:00. Ramp mode should do the trick. Thanks for the help.

Kevin
Just like to say how much I like readng your posts, always good information and well thought out.
Jim

Back