Butt cooking time question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A three pound butt can reach 200º in 6 hours but that would not be a well cooked butt. Connective tissue takes longer than that to break down correctly. The other issue would be a 15 pound butt will not take 30 hours, 15 to 20 hours will breakdown the conective issue and render the fat.
The rule of thumb is based on an average butt at 6 to 7 pound will be a 12 to 14 hour cook on average. As soon as you go smaller or much larger the rule no longer apply.
Jim

Well the butts are a smokin' and I'm getting antsy. Thanks to the feedback, I figured I'd be looking at a 10 to 12 hour smoke. I'm sitting on 10 hours right now and we're getting to the high 180's. So another hour maybe ought to do it.

So my mouth is starting to water right now....

Thanks for all your help. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the temps down a little more...

Curits, keep the temp down by adjusting the bottom vents. Also, if you are using water, make sure you have it topped off as this is your heat regulator in the cooker.

Most importantly be patient...Barbecue is done on its own time frame. All the info you get from us is more or less a structured guideline to follow. The last thing you want to do is rush the bbq process. The longer you wait the more you'll appreciate it when its done and so will your guests.

I'm sure everything will turn out great. Starting my cook around 9pm tonight!! Good eatin to ya mate!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
A three pound butt can reach 200º in 6 hours but that would not be a well cooked butt. Connective tissue takes longer than that to break down correctly. The other issue would be a 15 pound butt will not take 30 hours, 15 to 20 hours will breakdown the conective issue and render the fat.
The rule of thumb is based on an average butt at 6 to 7 pound will be a 12 to 14 hour cook on average. As soon as you go smaller or much larger the rule no longer apply.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent real-world information. The times and weights discussed earlier in the thread were solely to illustrate that one should not consider the cumulative weight of multiple pieces of meat when estimating total cooking time, but rather the individual weight of each piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back