Butt - Brine it, Flip it, Rub it Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Liberman

TVWBB Fan
I'm wondering if it is necessary to do some of these things to a Boston Butt.

Do you need to flip and turn it during the cook. The one I made I never turned or flipped and it was great.

Do you need to brine it? My guess is that you don't because of all the fat and collagen it already contains. The one I made I brined because I was following a Good Eats recipe. It came out great, so I am hesitant not to brine it because I feel like it gave it some extra taste.

Do you need to baste or apply anything to the butt while it is smoking besides the rub before you start?

I am also thinking about trying a Brisket, so I'm wondering if brining, flipping, and basting are required for it. Once I get a WSM I will likely use the Keri-Minion method so I don't have to baste the brisket, but I still am curious about the brining and flipping.

Thanks for the help.

Mornin', Jon.

When I do butts, I don't brine, flip, or mop. They have enough interspersed fat that I don't feel that they need brining for moisture, and they might take on a hammy taste (depending on salt content in your brine), and that's not what I'm after in pulled pork. Same deal with mopping, all that does (IMO) is soften up the bark, and possibly wash away some of the seasonings.

I think that butts are the simplest cooks, and they always come out good. I usually just pull 'em out of the fridge, coat lightly with yellow mustard, dust with rub, let sit while I fire up the coals and assemble the cooker, then throw 'em on. The WSM does the hard part. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to head to Costco today and pick up a two-pack.....this is making me hungry!

Cheers,
Rich G.

Jon,

I do flip my butts when I'm cooking. Mainly to promote a more even cook. Is it a necessity to flip/rotate...no.

I also mop 3-4 times using a vinegar based mop. I believe mopping adds a "layer" of flavor to the bark. I don't start mopping though until at least halfway into the cook (i.e. at the 6 hr mark of a 12 hour cook). That gives the bark a chance to form. Again, is it a necessity...no.

I don't brine butts or briskets at all. I do plan to try injecting a butt with Italian dressing one day though.

The bottom line is it a matter of personal preference and you should do what works best for you...if you are happy with the way your butts are turning out, I wouldn't change a thing.
------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I appreciate the feedback. I figured it was a personal thing, but it never hurts to ask.

One other thing. What is the big deal with the bark? I had some good bark on my butt, but it seemed to me that this stuff was only meant for the trash can. It seems too chewy to eat unless you wrap the butt in foil to finish. Is bark just a badge of honor on your butt showing that you smoked it rather than cooked it in the oven? Just curious. Thanks.

Jon...

I always mop my butts! Do it after 4 hours(this way you won't wash any rub away) and every few hours after that and your bark will come out perfect. I know what you mean about the bark being VERY tough and gnarly after 15-20 hours of straight heat. I really believe you need some liquid to keep things a little loose.

Bark is really the only place that has any flavor when cooking a large roast like a butt. NOTHING will penetrate that deeply into the inside meat......unless you inject. By mixing the bark with the inside meat, you get some extra flavor in every bite. That is why it is a critical element of a great pork butt.

I have never seen the need to flip or rotate and brining is not needed as the butt is strewn with internal fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back