Butt 1.19

I have a friend that works at an old-fashioned grocery store where they actually butcher meat and cook food for people and all that kind of good stuff. He said he could get me some bone-in butt for 1.19; I know at the Wally World it's 1.62, but how is that price compared with everywhere else?

Here in TX we can get butt everyday for anywhere from $1.60-$2. It goes on sale about every other month for $.99/pound, so I usually just wait and buy a couple of butts and freeze them. I would buy some at $1.19 and not feel bad about it especially to support a good butcher.

What was really awesome was choice packer brisket last weekend at Tom Thumb for $.99/lb! I picked up some and stocked up. We get sales so often here that I am usually able to buy really cheap. I guess we're lucky like that.

Here in southern Illinois I get mine from my local butcher shop for $1.49/lb any day of the week. They always shave off the fat cap before they weigh the meat, which is a great bonus!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Luke, $1.19 is a pretty good price. I usually buy mine when they go on sale for $.89 to $.99 per pound

Cool. While we're on the subject, why does anyone want to get rid of the fat cap? Are we just really really weird by liking to leave the cap on? We usually have it fat down for an hour, then flip it up on top for the rest of the smoke. A lot cooks down into the meat, and cooking it fat side down for an hour (or an hour and a half) seems to make a pretty good crust for picking when it first comes off the smoker. We notice a lot of people trim the fat off, but we don't. Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

Luke, with butts I don't trim at all. Just slather them with mustard, apply rub and throw them on. I don't look at them again until the temp gets close to being done. Most of your fat will render. What doesn't melt down you can sort and toss when you pull the pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke and Bethany:
I have a friend that works at an old-fashioned grocery store where they actually butcher meat and cook food for people and all that kind of good stuff. He said he could get me some bone-in butt for 1.19; I know at the Wally World it's 1.62, but how is that price compared with everywhere else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1lb bone-in-butt = $1.19

A good local butcher = PRICELESS

If you have a good local butcher you should support him as much as you can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke and Bethany:
Cool. While we're on the subject, why does anyone want to get rid of the fat cap?
<snip>
We notice a lot of people trim the fat off, but we don't. Anyone else care to offer an opinion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer to have the fat.
Fat = Flavor
Fat side up so that the fat melts and seeps into meat (just a theory).
The fat also acts as a protective barrier against prolonged heat.
The cooked meat just under the fat is out of this world!

Cool. While we're on the subject, why does anyone want to get rid of the fat cap? Are we just really really weird by liking to leave the cap on? We usually have it fat down for an hour, then flip it up on top for the rest of the smoke. A lot cooks down into the meat, and cooking it fat side down for an hour (or an hour and a half) seems to make a pretty good crust for picking when it first comes off the smoker. We notice a lot of people trim the fat off, but we don't. Anyone else care to offer an opinion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to trim the cap off but no longer do.

There is less bark now, but not enough to matter IMO.

PS- that little slab of meat inside the fat cap is the best of the whole lot.

I just bought a case of butts at sams about an hour ago. It is $1.19 a pound by the case. It was $1.68 by the double butt cryovac per pound. That case price has been in that area for the past month or so. The cryovac price is a bit higher than it has been for a while. It has been around $1.50 for a while.

I had been trimming off the fatcap just for ease when pulling. I have since started leaving it on lately for 2 reasons. First is I cook every week on thursday night and I leave work on friday to check on them and take them off. It isn't far away but sometimes I get caught up and can't get away and they get more time than I wanted. Leaving the fatcap on has alleviated that problem for me. The second reason is no matter how crispy that thin layer of meat in the fatcap gets is goes great in Keri C's hog apple beans.

You got to like that.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back