Butchers in Baltimore area

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
I'm just curious to know if anyone know's a good butcher with a large, quality selection of meats in the Baltimore area. I typically go to BJ's. I've seen some pretty good prices at Hollins Market and I've heard Lexington Market is pretty solid. They just seem to be more meat 'cutters' than actual butchers though.

I went to a butcher that many folks rave over off of Hanover RD in Baltimore only to find out that they sell premarinated BB's. I was repulsed. There's gotta be some better stuff out here. Anyone been to JW Treuth?

Thanks for your time.

Good luck I have the same problem over here on the east side of town. I jsut keep getting meats from Sams and BJ's and the butchers are usually pretty helpful if they arent busy. I personally would like to find a guy local that I can build a good relationship with for meats and so forth so If you get any info let me know as well and I will reciprocate if I hear anything.

I bought a whole brisket from The Market in Towson, MD. I haven't cooked it yet, so I can't comment on the meat itself.......hopefully, the weather will turn soon and I can concentrate on smoking meat and cigars instead of shoveling.

The owner was very nice and said he could order just about any cut I wanted and his prices seemed reasonable to me. Below is their website.

http://www.ridgelyandferrens.com/

Oh........and Wegmans in Hunt Valley had pork butts for $0.99/lb which I thought was pretty good and they had plenty of them..........just bought some over the weekend.

happy hunting!

Excellent info guys. I'll keep you posted if I find someone too.

FYI, if you want to take a nice drive out to Frederick you can find a Yardandpool.com store out there. They have tons of bbq woods and accessories. Check them out!

Does Treuth have mainly beef? I'd been interested in trying them out. I hear good stuff about them.

I went to a Geresbeck's grocery today in Middle River, MD and found a large quantity of fresh whole picnics for 89 cents per pound!

There's a team of butchers in Baltimore. They call themselves the Orioles. (ok, I just slapped myself)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrell J.:
Does Treuth have mainly beef? I'd been interested in trying them out. I hear good stuff about them.

I went to a Geresbeck's grocery today in Middle River, MD and found a large quantity of fresh whole picnics for 89 cents per pound! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beef/Pork and Fish in the retail store. Give them a call to see if they have or can get what you want.

They always have tri tips in the freezer. If I pre-order I can time it so I get them before they are frozen. Either way they are always nice. I also picked up a couple nice pints of oysters while I was there last trip. Nicely packed in a glass jar with lots of natural liquor.

Dave,
Here in Baltimore we’d like to think our Ravens make up for the Orioles lack of production and poor ownership.

Darrell,
I live in Perry Hall and you might want to try Kingsville Market. Not necessarily a butcher specific store, just a old time, county grocery store. The Butchers in there are all very helpful and friendly and they won’t gauge you in price like some of those Towson Markets in this post. I have ordered Fresh kill Turkeys for Thanksgiving from them for the past few years, and they always get me a 32 lb (hard to find). This place is nothing fancy and they have funky hours, but give them a try.

Steve

Thanks man!
icon_smile.gif

Back