Butcher Paper Wrapped Brisket

P Burnside

This is my first time wrapping a brisket in butcher paper. I heard good things about it so I did a little test run. I think it does a better job than foil. It kept the brisket moist and it kept the bark crisp.
IMG_0004_mod_zps8eca2a92.jpg

IMG_0008_mod_zps9dc213bd.jpg

IMG_0006_mod_zps2d692e6a.jpg

Please excuse my plating skills. I have a lot of work to do with presentation.

Pete

P, great job on the BPWB, your mad science project looks great and hey, with a great smoke ring and bark like that, you could serve it to me any way, who cares about presentation:D

Brisket looks killer. What's in your rub? I detect rosemary -- nice choice for brisket.

Coarse salt
Coarse ground black pepper
White pepper
Lemon pepper
Chili powder
Dark brown sugar
Turbinado sugar
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Ground rosemary
Small amount of nutmeg
Small amount of cumin

First I trim the brisket and coat it with light tasting olive oil. Then I sprinkle some coarse salt on it. I let it sit for 20 minutes before applying the rub. I think the salt and oil help produce a pronounced "smoke" ring. Anyway, I smoked it for six hours and wrapped with butcher paper. I put fresh sprigs of rosemary on top just before wrapping. It was the first time I did this but it gave the whole brisket a wonderful rosemary flavor. I am definitely doing this again. I took it off at 195 and let it rest for three hours. The first six hours I cooked 215. I cooked it the rest of the way at 240.

I would probably cut out the cumin if I had to do it again. I like to keep things simple because the more you add, the greater your chances of adding something someone won't like. Cumin is one of those things that can really turn people off, so I try to stay away from using it and when I do use it, I use tiny amounts.

I'm with you on the cumin, I only use a bit. Great technique on the brisket, I might have to try a l&s brisket the next time I do one.

The plating on that does not matter because it would be gone in 5 seconds! Amazing looking cook, take a bow!

Now you have me wearing out Google for butcher wrapped brisket. Anyone want to share a 1000 foot roll of paper?

Last edited:

Back