Butcher paper vs aluminum foil

Joe - theqguy

TVWBB Member
I was watching some YouTube videos and see that some guys wrap their meat in butcher paper instead of aluminum foil when smoking. Have you guys had any experience with this? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks

I have a 36" x 2000' roll of brown, untreated butcher paper, and that's all I use to wrap meats. It does seem to allow the meat to breathe, even if I wrap three times. Meat just isn't as mushy as it is when I use foil on really fatty, juicy meats like brisket or pork shoulder. It seems to steam more in foil. That seems to be my experience, anyway...

Thank you Randy. I did a google search that led me to a discussion on the VWB and what you said is what most everyone says about it. Thanks for your time and input.

Got a buddy in Dallas who does briskets every weekend and swears by butcher paper instead of foil.

I use al foil but my mother got me onto plastic wrap, it seals the meat and stays very moist and holds well in the smoker.

Plastic wrap? Doesn't the heat make plastic wrap release chemicals that would taint the meat? Or at the very least possibly be harmful for consumption?

Plastic wrap? Doesn't the heat make plastic wrap release chemicals that would taint the meat? Or at the very least possibly be harmful for consumption?

To answer your question...absolutely it does. It's actually somewhat toxic when heated.

Just used it for the first time on a brisket. Liked the result but not sure you could add any liquid when wrapping. It did hold what juice/grease came out of the brisket, but I lost it when I opened to probe. May put the wrapped meat in a pan next time

Just used it for the first time on a brisket. Liked the result but not sure you could add any liquid when wrapping. It did hold what juice/grease came out of the brisket, but I lost it when I opened to probe. May put the wrapped meat in a pan next time

That's what most will tend to do. We definitely do, it helps for several reasons, not the least of which is that it helps with the mess ;-p

Ive been using butcher paper. seems to do a great job keeping a very moist enviroment without the steam cooking effect of foil. I havent gone back to foil for a good A-B test but my briskets are more in line with unwrapped briskets. great for home use. Ive almost got too much bark to slice nicely for competition. I know that sounds crazy.

To get over the loss of natural aujus, I just use beef base (the paste) and make some kicked up stock. probably better than the real aujus.

Back