Busyish day lots of food and fermentation

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Lots on the go today.
Cooking up a flank steak, some chicken breasts, salads for the weeks lunches……
Made up some sauerkraut, and making crack burgers for dinner………..these are gonna be awesome this time.
Flank is the tequila lime marinade…..this is very good, cumin is used.
New spice I picked up for chicken, have been on the search for a good chicken spice for a while….this one is supposed to be good…it costs more than average so let’s hope it does.
It’s a holiday up here so a few tasty Belgian ales are on call….
A few pics now and some final cooked pics to come.

It’s been so long since I made sauerkraut, I forget how long the fermentation takes….
Wrote on the calendar to check it in 2 weeks but something tells me I want to ferment it for 21 to 27 days…..
I want it to stay crunchy ish……..but fermented enough…..last time I think I waited 6 weeks and it was considerably soft……too soft for me.
Once it ferments, will be doing another batch right away…..tis the season for fresh cabbage……..keeps for like a year but in 2 batches I should get 6 to 7 regular sized mason jars full and compacted down…….sitting in the crock right now.
Chime in on the fermentation if you have been doing it lately…….

Attachments

• IMG_1446.jpeg
    IMG_1446.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1451.jpeg
    IMG_1451.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1450.jpeg
    IMG_1450.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1449.jpeg
    IMG_1449.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1447.jpeg
    IMG_1447.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Almost forgot, got some good vinyl spinning too…..
Already did some live Rush…..currently on a brand new record I just picked up….some live Pearl Jam….its pretty good.
If you like the younger Eddie Vedder voice, you would like this one…it was recorded in Australia in 1998…..
Up next is a Zuma era record that was released not too long ago….it looks and sounds just like Zuma….
Just releasing stuff from the 70s in the 2024’s….who woulda thought.
It is very good too…..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 5
Almost forgot, got some good vinyl spinning too…..
Already did some live Rush…..currently on a brand new record I just picked up….some live Pearl Jam….its pretty good.
If you like the younger Eddie Vedder voice, you would like this one…it was recorded in Australia in 1998…..
Up next is a Zuma era record that was released not too long ago….it looks and sounds just like Zuma….
Just releasing stuff from the 70s in the 2024’s….who woulda thought.
It is very good too…..
Dume is a 16-song album (2 LPs) by Neil Young with Crazy Horse from 1975, recorded during the Zuma recording sessions. It is a limited edition & It includes tracks and outtakes from Zuma.

Dume is a 16-song album (2 LPs) by Neil Young with Crazy Horse from 1975, recorded during the Zuma recording sessions. It is a limited edition & It includes tracks and outtakes from Zuma.
Yup…..we are big Neil fans.
I wasn’t trying to get into too many details for you folks but that is what it is…….

That sauce looks killer. Awesome job all around, Darryl. Got some really good lunches coming up. I love your fermenting jar. Can you provide details?
I picked it up off Amazon a few years back…..go to Amazon and type in fermenting crock….you will get tons of choices.
Mine is a 2 litre size….it holds one head of cabbage perfectly….they come in many sizes….
Just makes sure it comes with the stones to keep your product submerged in the liquid.
Also look into a “sauerkraut pounder”…not sure the name but it really really helps. Pic attached.

Chicken is done……!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1452.jpeg
    IMG_1452.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 6
Looks like this one and it comes with a pounder.
That is the brand that I have but mine didn’t come with the pounder…..I am so so so glad I did buy the pounder though.
It works well, it has a water air lock at the top…you just have to top it off every few days.
I have done pickles too with mixed results…..kimchi could be an option but it takes a lot of ingredients I would have to buy specifically for that.
Flank is ready to go on…..marinade was 3 hours….close enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 2
Flank is done…..got pure charcoal smoke on it and seared the snot out of it…..measured 123 when I took it off.
When your lunches are a salad ( really boring ) and a protein, this is gonna be a hit for me for like 3 days straight…..
The MRS likes her salad n chicken…..this is good by me, more steak……….

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1454.jpeg
    IMG_1454.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 4
I picked it up off Amazon a few years back…..go to Amazon and type in fermenting crock….you will get tons of choices.
Mine is a 2 litre size….it holds one head of cabbage perfectly….they come in many sizes….
Just makes sure it comes with the stones to keep your product submerged in the liquid.
Also look into a “sauerkraut pounder”…not sure the name but it really really helps. Pic attached.

Chicken is done……!
Thank you, Darryl.

Had to taste it…
Heavens…….a bit of char but I am into it…..
Taters are going to be home fries on the slate tonight with the crackburgers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
80/20beef…..
High quality bacon….
A shredded welsh milk English aged cheddar cheese….Sour crème…..

Burgers are gonna get…..the burger, fried onions, cheese slices, lettuce and the burger sauce….
This is going to be what I want to serve if I have to show off on a quick cook……I think anyways.
Mostly fat free……..

I also have to go cook on the slate in the pitch dark…..gotta new light though, on sale right now at Amazon…….
1000 lumens…..bought it at 25% off last week.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Garlic butter spread on the buns before toasting…..
Nice sear on everthing, came out tasty for sure but the burgers still wanted to fall apart….next time will be what I want them to be.
It’s the small details I just need to dial in…..

Thanks for watching!

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1462.jpeg