Burnt Ends

D Brazil

TVWBB Member
OK I'm going to smoke (2) whole packer briskets soon and plan to cut the point off and make burnt ends. I have researched it quite a bit and have found a couple different methods. The 1st method as descibed here cuts the point off once the brisket is cooked and rerubs the bare end. After this the points are placed on the smoker whole for another 4 hours or so, then it is cut up and mixed with sauce. On two other websites, the point is cut-off and immediately cut into the 1 inch cubes and placed in an Alum. pan / mixed with sauce, etc. It is then placed in the smoker in the pan for about 2 hours. What is everyones expeirence making burnt ends and their prefered method? Will smoking another 4 hours whole dry out the point ?? Thoughts ?

Well since traditionally burnt ends came from the overcooked dried out portions of the brisket then you really don't have to worry about them being dry. If you want nice distinct cubes for your burnt ends then I find it is easier to cube the point and then add sauce and put it back on the smoker. If you cook the point till its done then you wont get all nice cubes but a mix of cubes and crumbly bits of meat, I actually like it this way since it messier scooping out those little bits from the pan with your fingers.

Thanks Bob, you know now that I'm thinking about it I may just do 'both'. That is I have 2 packers so I'll prepare one point in the pan and one point out. Thanks for your input

'Burnt Ends' have sort of evolved from the traditional overcooked/dry end pieces (with a ton of flavor), to perfectly cubed, overly tender pieces.

Lately I've been putting the pieces into a small aluminum pan, re-season them, and add enough fat seperated au-jus to reach almost halfway up the pieces. Then I add a good splash of white grape juice to lighten up the flavor. Put that back into the cooker and let it go for an hour or two. They will come out super juicy and tender. Sauce if you like but I usually don't.

Russ

Back